Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What's the difference between FOUNDATION PIECING VS. PAPER PIECING???

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    Good Evening Every1,

I hope that all is well with you & your families. I was wondering what's the difference between foundation piecing and paper piecing :?: :?: Is one easier than the other?? I am trying to get my quilting binders ready. I need to know if I should have 1 or 2 tabs. Thanks for everyones help. I really appreciate it very much.

:-D :-D :-D :-D Have a blessed day. :-D :-D :-D :-D

:thumbup: :thumbup: ;-) debra ;-) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    do you mean paper piecing or English Paper Piecing?

Blog Entries
    Foundation is usually pieced on muslin or some other fabric. PP is usually done on some type of paper. Although I have seen the term foundation used when talking about paper pieceing too :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I agree with Amma. Paper piecing is usually done with paper that can be removed after stitching. Foundation piecing is where you sew onto a background fabric, usually muslin and it stays on.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I agree with Amma. Paper piecing is usually done with paper that can be removed after stitching. Foundation piecing is where you sew onto a background fabric, usually muslin and it stays on.
    That's exactly what I believe to be true!

Blog Entries
    good to know. I was wondering too

Blog Entries
    It gets confusing. From what I understand (which isn't often much)
    Foundation piecing is on a background fabric

Paper piecing is sewing on the paper lines to make a block

English paper piecing is using paper templates to form a shape and basting your fabric on it then sewing to other basted shapes by hand.

Hope that helps

I'm confused I thought it was the same thing. Isn't One of Carol Doak's paper piecing books call it foundation piecing, I think paper piecing is one type of foundation piecing

Power Poster
    Foundation Piecing- a usually light weight fabric that has printed or hand drawn lines on it that you sew fabric onto to create a pattern block. The "foundation" fabric is left in and the blocks are sewn together to make a top.
    Paper Piecing-A design is printed or drawn on paper. Fabric is put on top of the paper and you stitch through the paper and fabric to create the design. The blocks are sewn together and the paper is torn off when the top is assembled.
    English Paper Piecing-This is where a paper shape is cut from card stock or similar paper to a specific shape, hexagons, diamonds etc. Fabric is placed over the shape and the fabric is hand tacked to hold the shape. The fabric shapes are then hand sewn together, catching just the fabric edge and the shapes are removed when the top is done.
    HOWEVER
    Some people call paper piecing, foundation piecing. Some people do paperless paper piecing where the paper is put on top and the paper is folded back as the fabric is pieced, some people use freezer paper for paper piecing. It is like the names of a certain quilt block, different regions call it one name and it gets named something else along the way.