Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What's a scant 1/4" seam?

Some of the patterns I've looked at on the Internet call for a scant 1/4" seam. What exactly is a scant 1/4" seam?

Boo
    A scant 1/4" would be in about 2 threads worth. This allows for the fold when you press your seam allowance to one side.

I'm not quite sure if I understand. I mean, I get what it is now, but I'm still a little confused as to its purpose. And is it absolutely nessicary to sew with a scant 1/4" seam if the pattern calls for it? I have enough trouble as it is sewing 1/4" seam (well, maybe not so much...I figured out that its exactly 1/4" inch between my sewing machines needle and the edge of the presser foot)...I can't imagine sewing 1/4" minus a millimeter.

Boo
    When you press a seam to one side, this uses up a thread of two of the fabric. While that doesn't sound like much, when you add all those threads you get yardage. :lol: If a pattern actually calls for the scant 1/4, I would attempt to comply. The reason being, one block may have more seams than another, therefore using up more threads.

I get it now. :) Thanks!