Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your favorite marking tool? >

What's your favorite marking tool?

What's your favorite marking tool?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM

I have found that "mark be gone" works real good. Just wipe with a damp cloth.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 AM

I use bar soap slivers for marking lines, and make myself little "chalk bags" out of leftover fabric and baby powder for the stencilling. I use cinnamon in the bag if I'm stencilling onto white or light fabric. Then throw the bag into the dishtowel drawer (or the pile of placemats). I'm cheap and I know it, but it works for me :) I have also tried school chalk, but could never get the marking end thin enough, and I kept breaking it. I need a gentler touch to use that, but it would be great to mark with if I could ease up on the tension.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM

save your slivers of left over soap, let them dry out and use them to marker darker fabrics. The thin slivers are the best. You can make a pretty fine line. Then they wash out when your done.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by barb55
I like Sewfine. After you sew through the marked line, you can brush it off or use the eraser it has with it.
I also have Sewfine and it works great.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Banned

You only need 2-3 and possibly 4 marking pencils. And stay away from Yellow.
White and light grey Mult Pastel chalk Pencils. Possibly the Sketch and Wash black graphite pencil (all from General Pencil Co) and the ceramic mechanical pencil in white. And of course a good old #2 or better #2.5
And the wash out pen.
To me all the colors are a waste of money.
And keep them sharp. I mark about 13" and hit the sharpener.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
I've got a small assortment of the basic "colored pencil" style of dressmaking pencils, and I hate them. They don't mark the fabric unless I mash it hard, and then it makes a fat line and distorts the weave of the threads. They do wash out, but they're basically useless if they're not going to mark easily.

I love handquilting, and I'd like to incorporate more complex stitch patterns into my quilts (I'd prefer to draw them on, rather than stenciling). I would like to find a pencil or chalk or something that can mark in a fine line, is *not* air soluble, and will wash out (obviously). I don't trust the washable ink markers, but if you can reassure me that they'll wash out completely, I might give it a go.

Any ideas?
I have been using the Pilot FriXion ball point pen. When you want to remove the markings just use an iron & heat it and the lines disappear. I get them in black, red & blue at local office supply store.