Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wheelchair lap robe

I am making a wheelchair lap robe. I made the blocks using the Benartex crazy quilt foundation fabric. The blocks are completed and sewn together. I read here on the board that these lap quilts can be backed with flannel to prevent slipping off of someone's lap. My question is this - because the blocks are really two layers of fabric ( my piecing and the foundation fabric), and using flannel as backing - should I also use batting? Would this make the quilt too stiff and too thick to tuck around someone's legs if they are in a wheelchair?

if u use a low loft batting it should be ok.... but it probably really isn't necessary.It'sreally up to u

I would just go with the flannel esp, since the top is two fabrics thick.

It sounds like it will be nice and cuddly with the flannel back, you can always add more layers, so I think without batting would be nice for that.

Not necessary to add batting. The flannel is sufficient. I've made a couple with flannel and a couple with fleece. As long as they are quilted together, they are fine as is without batting.

Besides, sometimes you (and they) don't want something heavier on the legs when sitting down.

Blog Entries
    As a former nursing home nurse, I recommend not using the batting. Just a flannel backing will be sufficient. Sometimes there just isn't enough room in a wheelchair for the person and a bulkier lap blanket (or lab robe as I know them!) These blankets are washed sometimes every day and really take a beating. But they are certainly appreciated by the people that use them!!!