Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When did you become confident enough - or learn that - >

When did you become confident enough - or learn that -

When did you become confident enough - or learn that -

Old 07-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Default When did you become confident enough - or learn that -

patterns and directions sometimes have mistakes in them -

and you have learned enough to be able to compensate for the pattern error or ignore it?

Did any of you notify the designer or the errors after you noted them? Or did you just continue on your way - assuming that someone else notified the designer. (It never occurred to me to notify the designer.)
Old 07-02-2016, 11:04 AM

I have been sewing all my life. I have always changed cutting layout to save fabric. When in school, I helped my younger sis with her sewing projects. The teacher would tell her she did it wrong until she told the teacher that I helped her. Then all was well. I have learned that we all have our way of doing things. Not wrong, just different. Never thought of it any other way. I just always look for an easier (to me) way.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

I started out using EB QIAD books and only found 1 error which wasn't that bad. I also do things my way so I seldom follow instruction for cutting. They always state too much fabric is needed.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:44 AM

Like cjsews, I started sewing very early in life and was making Barbie clothes when I was 8 years old and since many of the patterns made no sense to me then I started doing it my way. When buying a pattern that looks intricate to me, I read it very carefully, do my best to follow their directions and usually end up doing what works best for me. When the QIAD show was on our local PBS station and Simply Quilts was on HGTV I watched them with great interest to learn some new ways. (Don't you hate to take a class to learn a new process and there is always one person that has to tell the instructor they are doing it wrong.) Some patterns do have errors - but sometimes, we just have a different way of doing it. When in doubt make a test run.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:21 PM

I have been really lucky to belong to a small quilting group with some very talented quilters, they have gotten me out of a few binds when there are mistakes. One of them is super good at just looking at a pattern and able to figure how to best to put it together. She has resized a number of patterns for us. I can handle patterns being wrong better than I handle buying a kit and having it short fabric---this has happend a couple of times to me.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I accept the fact that at times mistakes happen. I always read through a pattern before starting, if something doesn't seem quite right, or there is a typo or illustration error I fix it before beginning ( if I can figure out how) if I'm making a block that is new to me ( technique or design) I make a practice block before using my intended fabrics. When I find errors I visit the website ( if available) check for their ( fixes/errors) link ( they usually have one) to see if fixes have been posted. If the error has not yet been reported I contact them ( either the designer or the publisher) and report the error so they can note the error & fix on their site. Sometimes I check the site for errors before even buying a pattern. Seems like a ( community service) to check & report errors-- even a tested pattern can wind up incorrect due to an editing error.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I found numerous errors and confusing directions in one paper piecing pattern and sent email to the designer via her web site. Never heard a thing back, and the errors I reported didn't show up on the web site, so I probably won't bother doing it again. It seems to me that few companies monitor the email they get from the address on their web site.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I Always read the pattern before starting and make a sample block from scraps to be sure things work the way I like.

I have saved a lot of heartache and money doing this.

I have called when confronted with pattern problems, even with those I just don't understand. Always very nice and helpful responses.
peace
Old 07-02-2016, 02:45 PM

I have a Bargello pattern that had some confusing instructions. There was an email address and the two ladies who created the pattern, in Australia, answered my question in just 24 hours. I actually thought there was an error in their instructions, but when they explained it to me, I had just done some sideways thinking.

I thought it was sweet to get such a good answer and so quickly. They invited me to ask more questions if anything wasn't clear to me.

The only other time I found mistakes in a pattern, those corrections were available at the website.

So all of my experiences have been good, along these lines.

Dina
Old 07-02-2016, 03:43 PM

A long time ago..when I first got bitten by this bug,I had bought a book and began cutting all the pieces....then I began putting a block together...one of the triangles just didn't fit...I checked, I had cut as directed...error in print..I called publisher...apologies, thanks for "finding" the error and proceeded to send me a book of my choice....good thing I had extra fabric to recut the errant piece correctly...two lessons learned: always do a sample block, and always get just a smidge more fabric....