Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: When Do I Need To Block/Square

I'm working on a Disap. 9 patch and have a few blocks that are off about an eighth and a couple about a quarter of an inch. Do I have to square all of them, or are the ones an eighth short okay.

Just checking.

I would square them. An 1/8 here, and an 1/8 there, pretty soon it's tough to make it up.

Sharon Schamber has some free videos on ways that you can square and true blocks, which might be helpful here:

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Classes.aspx

Yup, I would square them too. I like to starch and iron well before squaring them up.

Watch your seam width too. Remember to stitch at a scant 1/4" to allow for the fold over.
    Once I learned that I had less trouble with my blocks being off 1/8 to 1/4 inch

Thanks, I've watched the video a few times and just got my first one pinned down. Do I starch & iron before pinning or after? . :shock:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    I'm working on a Disap. 9 patch and have a few blocks that are off about an eighth and a couple about a quarter of an inch. Do I have to square all of them, or are the ones an eighth short okay.

Just checking.
    I started one a year ago and had the same problem with the original blocks being a little off. It created a mess for me because I ignored that they were off and went ahead and cut the blocks. When I went to put them back together, I ended up bagging up the whole thing out of frustration because the blocks didn't measure right when I started the rows.

My advice would be to make sure they are all squared to the same size.

I've started a new one, made sure the blocks were squared, and it's coming together beautifully and I'm NOT frustrated. Making an I Spy, also.

Thank you for the link to Sharon Schamber, that was so interesting.

Square as you go or it comes back to haunt you.

I would square them all and 1/8 each block can add up to an inch off in no time

Pam
    Used to be when I squared something off, I just gave it a whack, as long as the corners were square, it was ok, right? NO!!!! it is not ok!We pay for ALL of those little lines on the ruler, so use them. Make sure you line up the ruler down the middle of your block, both ways, then square it all off! Your quilts will thank you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast