Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when do you decide to destash fabrics? >

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 PM

I took two bags of fabric to my quilt guild today. They were given to me by a new quilter who did not want them. Yes, I went thru the bags first! We had Elenor Burns sister Patricia as a speaker and she was showing how to get 3 quilts from a jelly roll, layer cake or turnover. Then to get more quilting from the scraps (if there are any) -- very impressive.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by xenodeno
I haven't been quilting long enough to need to de-stash. The only things I would probably get rid of are the older fabrics I received from my mother and grandmother's stashes.
Some of that stuff just isn't me.
Bad, bad idea. One day you will kick yourself for that - I know I did. Maybe some of it, but hang on to some even if you use a piece here and there in a small applique. I never let go of family history.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

I am wondering about the same thing. I am thinking about it and for me I guess I am considering selling the fabric I do not plan to use. sometimes you buy fabric for a project and then half way through change course and do not use those half yards. I also have things like quilt stamp and the templates or something that did not seem to work for me. I now use crayola washable markers. LOL
Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 PM

I agree!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 PM

First time I ever heard of destashing. I go thru my Mom's stuff and from friends stash, and they are welcome to mine if I'm not using it, but I don't usually get things I won't use, and if I do, I give them as gifts or in Christmas stockings.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tjradj
When I have to add support to the floor joists.
Why destash? Just sew, sew, sew...
Hehehehehe I had to ask my Dh if I would ever be in danger of that but he assured me our house can hold it. he build it. LOL He actually bought me a stack of fat quarters today.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM

I am planning to de stash soon. Fabrics I no longer like and fabrics that are out of date (colors have changed in tone, example: pink used to be dusty rose, now is a truer pink) And when my sewing room starts over flowing, like now.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:10 PM

Can I come live at your house? You would never see me and I eat left over food also. So this can be a win-win for both of us. Not only will I clean up your rooms FULL of stash, but you would never have a problem with leftover food. LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
is it because you want more or because you are tired of them?
I do my destashing after Christmas. It starts with the Christmas stuff, then moves to the kitchen, then the downstairs (we have a tri level) and that's where my sewing/craft room is. I'm usually down there for about 3 months or so pulling things out that I just know I won't use or just don't like. Then right before the yard sale in May (yes, it's an every year thing) I go through it one more time.

I'm trying to do more with less.. make due with what I have type thing. When I want to make something I'll use what I have and won't let myself (nor will the checkbook) buy anything else.
For this month, it's worked pretty good. Next month it's not looking so promising. Batik's keep calling my name. :lol:
Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM

I've never done it, but lately am realizing that lots of it isn't to my taste anymore, and while I could use some of it on charity projects, my time for sewing is limited, so why have a lot hanging around that I don't really like? Maybe after the holiday madness ends (its just beginning, lol) I'll really go through it all and cull some.