Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When do you put binding on? >

When do you put binding on?

When do you put binding on?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:45 AM

Smile When do you put binding on?

I know this is a dumb question but when do you put the binding on? Before you quilt, after quilting is done, or does it matter? I have done both but never knew which was right. Please let me know because i don't want to be busted by the Quilt Police.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:50 AM

Hi Sewflower, I have always put the binding on after quilting the sandwich and squaring the quilt. This is how I was taught at the classes I have taken, also what I have read in the various books I use for inspiration. Not to say that there are not other ways and I am sure others will let you know what they do.
The quilt police have no jurisdiction over you!! Down with anyone who thinks that they are the quilt police.
Sue
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 AM

I have always put it on last after the quilting. I wouldn't worry about the Quilt Police, though. I think it's a myth.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 AM

You should always put the binding on last. Quilting will "shrink" the top just a bit and make it a little smaller than the backing.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 AM

I've done both ... on the same quilt.

Normally I quilt it first, that way I don't have to worry about running into the binding with my quilting stitches. When quilting near the side - I can just run the machine off the side and I don't have to worry about burrying or tying off those particular threads.

That said, once binding was complete if I see an area that needs more quilting attention I don't hesitate to quilt some more on it.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I never knew anyone who put binding on before quilting. I've always done it as the last step. But to each his own.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Smile

If you are hand stitching the binding to the back after stitching it on the front....Don't trim away the excess batting and backing. Line the edge of the binding with your top and machine stitch it on. Then take it to your cutting table and trim leaving a little more than you think you need. When you roll the binding to the back to hand stitch, the binding should be nice and stuffed full of batting and fabric. Not so much it's hard to stitch just full. This is one thing a quilt judge will look for. Even if there are no quilt police the judges look for this for a reason. A full binding will wear less than one that is not full,
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Quilt first, bind last.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:20 AM

It only matters if you think it matters! You say you've done it before. Did you get the same results as doing it after quilting? If so, who cares? Are you going to be showing your quilts in competitions? If not, throw away the rule book and make up your own rules .
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
If you are hand stitching the binding to the back after stitching it on the front....Don't trim away the excess batting and backing. Line the edge of the binding with your top and machine stitch it on. Then take it to your cutting table and trim leaving a little more than you think you need. When you roll the binding to the back to hand stitch, the binding should be nice and stuffed full of batting and fabric. Not so much it's hard to stitch just full. This is one thing a quilt judge will look for. Even if there are no quilt police the judges look for this for a reason. A full binding will wear less than one that is not full,
Exactly what I was going to tell her! I lost points at a quilt show because my binding was not "full" enough. I don't trim away the backing or batting until after I stitch on the binding. I think it doesn't get those anoying little puckers in the back becaue it lays flatter with the extra fabric on.