Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When do you starch? >

When do you starch?

When do you starch?

Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Default When do you starch?

When do you starch? Do you starch the fabric before you start cutting? Or do you wait until the top is completed and then starch? Do you starch the back as well?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

When I'm ready to use a piece of fabric, I starch it and then iron it, before I cut it up. I use Best Press mostly. Usually when my block is finished I will starch it again. Some might think I overstarch, but it doesn't feel like it. But IMO I always starch the first time I iron a piece of fabric. It makes it keep its shape so much better than non-starching. I also extra re-starch if I'm using bias cuts, i.e. triangles...
Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltingnd View Post
When do you starch? Do you starch the fabric before you start cutting? Or do you wait until the top is completed and then starch? Do you starch the back as well?
Yes. No to waiting; yes to starch. And yes.
And more than a couple of times in between.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM

I starch before I cut.. .sometimes during the sewing and assembly. I prefer to starch let it it air dry then press, then cut.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Starch before cutting. Funny story, I cannot believe I did this, it was such a rookie mistake and I ought to know better.... two weeks ago, I was hired to put a hanging sleeve and binding on a quilt that had been commissioned by a fabric manufacturer. The binding went on just fine, no problems. The quilt's owner had very specific measurements for the hanging sleeve. I cut the fabric, then starched and pressed it... and it was too small. I thought I must have measured wrong, so I cut it, starched and pressed it again, and of course, it was too small AGAIN!!! Smacked myself upside the head, starched and pressed the rest of the fabric, THEN cut it to size. This time it was perfect. Thankfully there was plenty of fabric left over!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 PM

p.s. The trick to successful starching is to wait for the starch to soak in. The main difference between spray starch and Best Press is that Best Press has a surfactant that helps it soak into the fabric faster. It is still spray starch (albeit pretty-smelling starch, lol). Sometimes I'll use a paintbrush and "paint" the starch on the fabric to help it soak into my applique pieces faster.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Best Press has a surfactant that helps it soak into the fabric faster.

Sometimes I'll use a paintbrush and "paint" the starch on the fabric to help it soak into my applique pieces faster.
Never used a painbrush - I'll have to keep that in mind for smaller pieces.

I always press first to warm the fabric up - whether it's plain fabric or an already pieced block(s).
I spritz, wait a bit, and then press.
Haven't had any with issues with scorching or flaking.

And my goal for tomorrow will be to use the word "surfactant" in a sentence at least 3 times.

--Surfactants are compounds that lower the surface tension of a liquid, the interfacial tension between two liquids, or that between a liquid and a solid.--

Okay, maybe only once.
;-)
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I prewash, then fold and store the fabric. When I want to use a piece, I sprtiz it with water, then spray with a 50/50 mixture of liquid starch (sta flo) and water. I wait a few minutes then press, then cut.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I starch before I cut and if I'm cutting a single layer of fabric I starch both sides of the fabric.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM

starch then cut. It makes the cut pieces behave and gives that crisp feeling back (I prewash everything) Starch is my BUDDY