Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When doing a group activity - such as pillowcases, quilts, etc. - >

When doing a group activity - such as pillowcases, quilts, etc. -

When doing a group activity - such as pillowcases, quilts, etc. -

Old 10-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I'm probably more of a "play beside" type of person, at age 68 I have more than established "my way" of sewing and do resent being told I'm doing it wrong, unless I am in a class to learn a new technique. When I belonged to a guild, every Feb. after the meeting was set aside to make charity quilts for our particular charity, there were some cutting, some sewing, some pressing, and it went pretty well. I also shared in a quilting day for a local charity that made quilts for kids in area hospitals, we could choose what we wanted to do, but it was more or less assembly line and we made quite a few quilts, and it was fun.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM

I can be part of an assembly line if I must, but much prefer to play beside you all.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 PM

LOL at your comment SueSew. Happens at my house two or three times a week--and I do get that "if you don't like it, you know who can do it better" look.....

Right now I am not a "crowd person" at all--the only person I can work with or beside is my son who runs my LA, and sometimes even the two of us get into a discussion over how to do it. I would love to get a quilting class going, but had thought October would be the month for me to do it, and here October is halfway gone, and I haven't even invited anyone to join me--so it is looking to be sometime after Christmas now.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Guess I am a "play beside" kind of girl myself...Don't really know why, just know that I am!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Educators call that "parallel play" and I do it too!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 PM

hmm guess it depends on where I get put in the assembly line and what's being made. last bee they were sewing charity quilts- basically black on white and white on black 2 1/2 inch strips with a team color solid/tone on tone in the center position - they were more or less 'racing' which I HATE but we had red, turquoise, pink, and 2 other colors I can't remember- purple was one and something else - think there were 5 teams total. I arrived late and got put with a team and ended up pressing and trimming the squares and my machine never came out. I was told I could sew 'if I wanted to' but pretty much all the tables were taken up and then people would have to stop sewing and sort strips or trim/press. it got a little tiring after a while but I felt part of the effort. when we laid it out 2 ladies did the sewing and I wandered off to another table to chat and munch on the food offerings ;-) I usually sew on my own stuff at this bee and at least half the others do while others sew on charity stuff -t he quilter who organizes it does all charity stuff- not sure she even keeps any of her quilts - but I dont' like feeling pressured and this one everyone was sewing on the charity quilts. another time I got in the pillowcase lineup and of course it was quicker to sew than pin all that stuff...another was sewing wide strips together for charity quilts - 2 ladies were racing on their vintage machines and the rest of us kept feeding them strips and others pressed what had been sewn (nightmare because in the hurry there were seams missed in places that had to be fixed) but it was fun in spite of the errors.

overal I'd prefer to sew on something alongside someone I think
Old 10-16-2014, 05:32 AM

I once took part in an afternoon of sewing charity quilts and it worked out well.

A few years ago I belonged to a group that made items for newborns. We would meet once a month to work on and sort items. I finally quit because the leader of the small group was one of those "my way is the only way" people. If she sewed the left side first and then the right side, then everyone had to do it the same way. Everything had to be done in the exact order she did. Between that and some other ways she was rude, I quit. I didn't need that stress in my life. I think she ran off a lot of potential volunteers because of her controlling ways.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I once took part in an afternoon of sewing charity quilts and it worked out well.

A few years ago I belonged to a group that made items for newborns. We would meet once a month to work on and sort items. I finally quit because the leader of the small group was one of those "my way is the only way" people. If she sewed the left side first and then the right side, then everyone had to do it the same way. Everything had to be done in the exact order she did. Between that and some other ways she was rude, I quit. I didn't need that stress in my life. I think she ran off a lot of potential volunteers because of her controlling ways.
Some folks simply shouldn't try to be leaders. They seem to confuse the concept of leadership with bullying. A true leader has no need to bully.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

For some things, a "uniform/consistent system" does result in a better end product!
Old 10-29-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Wow, what a bad experience. That was very pushy and rude. Prairie Points???! I cant even spell it right.

I can't stand being in a group where someone is trying to get me to do something their way at their pace. I have to go to a quiet corner and puzzle through it myself. I prefer to say, 'Oooohh! you are SOOOO talented, you had better do that yourself!" Works great on the DH when he criticizes me for something like packing the dishwasher wrong.
one reason that I hate....BOWLING! I dont care if I am doing it correctly. Give me a beer and leave me the heck alone! I do enjoy watching bowling. Trying to roll that dang ball down the lane is not my idea of fun. Sheesh! Always someone who wants to be instructive.

Sandy