Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When doing a group activity - such as pillowcases, quilts, etc. - >

When doing a group activity - such as pillowcases, quilts, etc. -

When doing a group activity - such as pillowcases, quilts, etc. -

Old 10-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Default When doing a group activity - such as pillowcases, quilts, etc. -

I have learned that I like to be "with" the group -

but I prefer to have "my own pile" of stuff so that I have more control over the outcome - instead of being part of an "assembly line."

Does anyone else feel this way?

Basically, I prefer to "play beside" instead of "play with" when doing these sorts of activities.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Agree! Groups are a whole lot of fun, but I draw the line at round robins, block exchanges, etc. Too many variables that are outside my control and an unwillingness on my part to deal with a huge range of piecing skill levels.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM

I am a "play beside" kind of person. In a group there always seems to be one person that is determined everyone does things "the right way" (read their way)
Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I am in a church group of sewers and we all select our individual projects. But it is so much fun to discuss how to quilt or size to make something. NOT going to be there on the day they stuff lumbar pillows. I have stuff too many of them in this lifetime.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:47 PM

I also fall into the 'play beside' group. I really, really like the idea of a round robin but after seeing some of the less fortunate results, am convinced it's just not for me. Sometimes what one person considers gorgeous, makes another person cringe. I'd probably end up playing both roles.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:43 AM

One time I was at a meeting for making charity quilts, and a quilter who was way more talented than I set me down at the machine and quickly told me how to sew down prairie points. In addition to figuring out a new machine and a new technique, I was already uncomfortable and intimidated. My stitching was terrible. I got out of there as soon as possible.

Yeah, I'm definitely a "play beside" type!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:00 AM

I've never done the assembly line thing so I'm not sure yet. My guild has round-robin quilts they do but so far I'm not interested in participating - I don't feel my skills are quite "up to snuff" compared to a lot of my "guildies" and I'd hate to ruin someone's work. If they had some that were designated for beginners I'd jump in though.

My guild meeting this week is actually going to be prep work for assembly-line style quilt making (charity quilts) that we'll be doing next month so that will be interesting. I missed the last meeting so I have no clue what's going on; I'm just going to show up with some extra "stuff" in my car (rotary cutter, mat, rulers, etc) and see what needs doing!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I have learned that I like to be "with" the group -

but I prefer to have "my own pile" of stuff so that I have more control over the outcome - instead of being part of an "assembly line."

Does anyone else feel this way?

Basically, I prefer to "play beside" instead of "play with" when doing these sorts of activities.

We tried a group pillowcase project. What worked best was for one to assemble the pieces and another to do the sewing from end to end. Of course, pillowcases are super easy, so it all worked well. A couple of the gals were LOST even trying to match colors so the one person doing that was great
Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
One time I was at a meeting for making charity quilts, and a quilter who was way more talented than I set me down at the machine and quickly told me how to sew down prairie points. In addition to figuring out a new machine and a new technique, I was already uncomfortable and intimidated. My stitching was terrible. I got out of there as soon as possible.

Yeah, I'm definitely a "play beside" type!
Wow, what a bad experience. That was very pushy and rude. Prairie Points???! I cant even spell it right.

I can't stand being in a group where someone is trying to get me to do something their way at their pace. I have to go to a quiet corner and puzzle through it myself. I prefer to say, 'Oooohh! you are SOOOO talented, you had better do that yourself!" Works great on the DH when he criticizes me for something like packing the dishwasher wrong.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM

What a good way to describe it. I'm definately a "play beside" kinda' gal.