Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is it not a quilt? >

When is it not a quilt?

When is it not a quilt?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by cuppi duke
I went to a guild meeting and someone was showing their quilts (whole cloth) that they made and were so proud of. One member kept insisting they weren't real quilts. It caused such an uproar I never went back
They were called quilts in 1876 in Texas when one of our family wholecloth quilts won a premium in the state fair at Waco. And I have the microfilmed copy of the newspaper to prove it. Gee whiz, who died and appointed her chief standard maker? :?

Jan in VA
Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 AM

What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tilladare
I have to add my vote to the technical definition... 2 layers of fabric (whole or pieced) separated by a layer of filler (batting, wadding, or other insulative material) and stitched together in some form ( either continuos stitches, or tied, or a combination of the 2).
How those fabric layers are treated, be it pieced, applique'd, paper pieced, or left whole should not change the definition.
Treatments applied to the surface of the fabric are just that... surface treatments... again they neither make or break the concept of quilt.
i agree with this.

i would add that some quilts are utility (meant to be used and washed repeatedly) and others are art to be displayed.

i have run across people who insist only utility quilts are true quilts and display quilts are "art" not quilts.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by missmabeliowa
I am fairly new at quilting, but as far as I'm concerned, a quilt is what covers a bed or a person, no matter the size.
What irritates me are wall hangings.
If it is a wall hanging, it should be categorized as a wall hanging.
If it is quilted, it is a quilted wall hanging.
This idea of finding a pattern you really like and then find it is a wall hanging and only gives size and directions for a wall hanging is completely absurd to me.
Yes, some are quite beautiful, but they are still not quilts, they are wall hangings.
There, I finally got that out of my system. I hope somebody agrees with me.
A wall hanging is still a quilt if it's quilted. A tapestry can be either a rug or a wall hanging, but it's still a tapestry. Same with quilts, they can either be on a bed or hang on the wall and they're still quilts.

It's not the size or what you do with it. It's the construction.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 AM

I think when folks say "not a quilt" they are referring to any other article than something you lay on a bed. So, if they've pieced and quilted a purse, it is "not a quilt" or if it's a table runner, still "not a quilt".

I don't think that it has anything to do with whether or not it's art, etc.

And a wholecloth not being a quilt? LMAO! That's like debating whether the sky is blue!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks for your replies. In the past I've said, "Look, you've hung your quilt on the wall!" "You have a lovely quilted table runner!" "You've quilted a purse!" "I like this small table sized quilt you made!" "The quilt on your bed is magnificent!" Different applications all with the craftsmanship of quilting!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM
RST

What drives me nuts is when some of the newer-to-quilting bloggers refer to the process of stitching the layers together (properly termed "quilting" in my mind, as well as historically) as "topstitching".

Topstitching is a real term. It's what you do on jeans. It's often used in bag and tote construction. It's done on upholstery. But it's really very different from the skill set that is correctly known as quilting (be it hand or machine, domestic or longarm).

But -- I think they use the term topstitching because it's confusing to refer to quilting as both the stitching technique, and the overall hobby. So they are trying to distinguish between the piecing / patchworking portion of the work, and the quilting.

Still -- it annoys.

RST
Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by RST
What drives me nuts is when some of the newer-to-quilting bloggers refer to the process of stitching the layers together (properly termed "quilting" in my mind, as well as historically) as "topstitching".

Topstitching is a real term. It's what you do on jeans. It's often used in bag and tote construction. It's done on upholstery. But it's really very different from the skill set that is correctly known as quilting (be it hand or machine, domestic or longarm).

But -- I think they use the term topstitching because it's confusing to refer to quilting as both the stitching technique, and the overall hobby. So they are trying to distinguish between the piecing / patchworking portion of the work, and the quilting.

Still -- it annoys.

RST
A lot of that is because not only are they new to quilting but they're probably new to sewing in general and don't really understand or know what the terms mean.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:21 AM

A quilt is technically a top, batting and a backing, joined together by sewing or tying. Simple.

An art quilt is just that...an art quilt or a wall hanging, or whatever. But it is still a quilt.

People can argue all they want, but a quilt is a quilt is a quilt. :!:
Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?
I would call it a coverlet. It has to have 3 layers to be technically a quilt. This has been the standard for all quilt shows that I know of...it has to have 3 layers and joined by stitching or tying. Period.