Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: When piecing do you?

When piecing do you put together one block at a time from beginning to end or do you complete step 1 for all of the same blocks and then move to step two and so on.

I like the answers I am getting about peoples styles.. It is helping me form mine or at least see if there is a better way for me.

So far I am pretty much in the chain state of mine. Unless it is a block I have not made then I make the first one from start to finish, to make sure I get it and then the rest of the blocks are completed in chains…

I do the same for cutting.

So what are your piecing and cutting styles?

Sometimes I will start by making one block to see how it goes together and if I like the fabric combination or how well the pattern is written. Most of the time I will make all the same blocks together and just chain feed through my sewing machine and complete all of each step.

Blog Entries
    Hi there,
    When I made this quilt, shown in my avatar, I cut out & made all of the Iris blocks first. Then I made the other blocks & put it together. On another quilt, that had rows of identical blocks, I cut out & sewed all of the blocks in that row. So, it just depends on what you are working on. I do like the assembly line way. Now, I am doing a BOM & all of the blocks are differnt!! :D

I am hoping this turns out!! Quilt I made for our son & dil.
    Name:  Attachment-11304.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  46.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Hi there,
    When I made this quilt, shown in my avatar, I cut out & made all of the Iris blocks first. Then I made the other blocks & put it together. On another quilt, that had rows of identical blocks, I cut out & sewed all of the blocks in that row. So, it just depends on what you are working on. I do like the assembly line way. Now, I am doing a BOM & all of the blocks are different!! :D

CRH
    Sulabug: They're both beautiful!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRH
    Sulabug: They're both beautiful!!
    Thank you & I am sorry for the double posting!! :D

If possible, I like to do the "assembly line" thing. Seems like it goes faster that way. However, I will make a "sample" block just to make sure I like it before I cut the rest of the quilt out.

Blog Entries
    I make one block at a time. If the block is not accurate in size then I correct it before going to the next block.

Blog Entries
    Quilting G--From Don-isewman1.. I'm going to say, everyone has there own technique.. As for me, I'm a pinner from the start of a block, to sewing each block together, and then each row together.. At least I will have and ideal if the block's will go together, and the row's together, it will be somewhat squared. But sometimes, I'm a little longer on one side, but not very often.. Hope this help's.. Don-isewman1

If it's something new, I definitely try the block first. Then it's chain stitching all the way. I hate cutting, so I might only cut a chunk at a time and then piece. Chain piecing saves time, thread, and my sanity. My attention span is too small to labor on one huge task. :roll:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast