Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to quilt piece with embellishments? >

When to quilt piece with embellishments?

When to quilt piece with embellishments?

Old 09-10-2015, 04:22 AM

Beading after quilting will be more tedious since all you knotting will have to be on the top....you won't have threads on the back of the finished quilt....I would echo quilt around your applique/beaded pieces,then do swirls outside of the echos, leaving you appliques free of quilting,thus no quilting over your beaded work.....great job.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:23 AM

Beading after quilting will be more tedious since all your knotting will have to be on the top....you won't have threads on the back of the finished quilt....I would echo quilt around your applique/beaded pieces,then do swirls outside of the echos, leaving your appliques free of quilting,thus no quilting over your beaded work.....great job.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:54 AM

I have no advice pro-or-con about before or after quilting, but I must say that this tree skirt is going to be a winner. It is so cute and I love snowmen, so that one caught my eye right away.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:40 AM

Lightbulb

I finished a wall quilt that is highly embellished last spring. I had it quilted before I added embellishments. My LAQer made me take off a couple that I had already added. (buttons)
Old 09-10-2015, 03:27 PM

I do beading and other embellishments on most of my projects and it is better/easier to do your quilting 1st and then do the beading. Your knots can be pulled carefully between the front and the batting. Check out some of the beading articles on line and they show/tell you how to do your beginning and ending knots between the layers. It is going to be a beautiful tree skirt.

Last edited by gramquilter2; 09-10-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
What would I do without all of you? I have no quilting friends to bounce things off of.......thanks for being here and being so generous with your time and patience!
I am working on a Christmas tree skirt for one of my sons and his family. Just making it up as I go....
Today, I started working on the sleigh section, and as I was beading the gold edge of the sleigh, I started thinking maybe I shouldn't do any embellishing until after it is quilted? And now I am wondering if quilting it will make it all wonky? I am going to put a row of holly leaves or something around the outer edges to bring it all together...but I am second guessing my plan at this point! Please help!
I did not notice the sleigh section being on a different fabric until you mentioned it. Just a suggestion- if you have enough of the same fabric make two more panels if you haven't already completed the other section of the skirt, then every other one would be like the sleigh panel. No one would know that it wasn't planned that way. That is going to be beautiful. Be sure to post a picture when you finish. Where did you find such a cute pattern?

Last edited by Gerbie; 09-11-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
I did not notice the sleigh section being on a different fabric until you mentioned it. Just a suggestion- if you have enough of the same fabric make two more panels if you haven't already completed the other section of the skirt, then every other one would be like the sleigh panel. No one would know that it wasn't planned that way. That is going to be beautiful. Be sure to post a picture when you finish. Where did you find such a cute pattern?
Unfortunately, I don't have enough of the sleigh panel fabric and have no idea where it came from. I will redo the sleigh panel...not a big deal. It just doesn't have the same "shine" that the Fairy Frost has.
I wish I had a pattern for this! Just winging it. The gingerbread house was a BOM pattern, but the rest are just being created as I go. Working on a Nativity panel, then a gingerbread family and a panel with Santa and reindeer will complete the skirt. Long way to go before December!
Old 09-11-2015, 05:07 AM

Very pretty! I would love to see it when you finish it
Old 09-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

beautiful work.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:10 PM

You are giving your son and his family an incredibly beautiful, unique Christmas keepsake!