Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to Remove Paper on String Blocks >

When to Remove Paper on String Blocks

When to Remove Paper on String Blocks

Old 10-23-2016, 11:09 AM

Default When to Remove Paper on String Blocks

I've made a couple string quilts before. Each time, I would use computer paper as foundation on my (roughly) 6" blocks, with no problems. Each time, I removed the paper before sewing any of them to each other.

However, I recently was watching a show where the guest was doing paper piecing of similar sized blocks (also string) and she said, "And of course you'll want to sew a few of these blocks to each other before removing any of the paper."

Her use of "of course" made it sound routine, common, preferred, smart, and otherwise NOT how I've done it nor heard of being done. Maybe it's ONLY a preference, or maybe there really is a good reason why not to remove paper before sewing blocks together.

I've been mindlessly sewing more string blocks to paper lately, and thought I'd ask about this method before I sew them together this time.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:29 AM

I'm recently new to string piecing, and have been removing the paper from the blocks as soon as I finish them. This is what the pattern says to do. I didn't have any trouble working with the blocks with the paper removed.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I usually remove the paper before sewing my blocks together. I did have to be careful at the edges to not remove any stitches. I did try sewing a few together and then remove the papers but the edges that were double sewed over were a nightmare.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I usually remove the paper before sewing my blocks together. I did have to be careful at the edges to not remove any stitches. I did try sewing a few together and then remove the papers but the edges that were double sewed over were a nightmare.
That's what I was thinking. I've only sewn two blocks together with the paper on as of now. I'm going to see what it's like to tear the paper off, but probably going to go back to my "regular" method. If it ain't broke....
Old 10-23-2016, 12:48 PM

I think she was referring to having the edges stabilized and there is a point to that. But I agree, once you sew two blocks together, the paper in the little seams allowances is a nightmare.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
maybe there really is a good reason why not to remove paper before sewing blocks together.
Only reason I can think of is it the paper keeps bias edges stable until sewn. But if you've not had a problem before, I see no reason to change what already works for you!
Old 10-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:41 PM

When I was using paper in my string blocks, I always removed the paper as soon as the block was finished. No problems. I decided to use a thin muslim for the foundations because I disliked removing the paper especially when sewing a narrow string.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

The mitered log cabin block apparently calls for the paper to stay on while sewing the blocks together. One of my friends did it that way. I (of course) pulled my paper and then sewed the blocks together. I must say that hers was much more difficult to pull the paper from the narrow seam lines. There was no difference in the assembly of the two.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:59 PM

I have only done 2 such quilts and one TV show I watched the person said she pulled hard on the fabric to help remove the paper, and showed how she just did a quick pull and it tore right off. Yea, great it also made the fabric stretch out and I was trimming the heck out of those shapes. The idea worked - paper came off easily, those triangle shapes were off. Can't imagine trying to remove the papers if they were all sewn together.

When I did those 2 quilts I was not starching my fabric and now I am, so that should help.