Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: when SID how do you get fabric to "glide?"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just stitched in the ditch with my walking foot, and everything moved great. God bless. Penny

Blog Entries
    What kind of fabric is on the backside? I had some that didn't move easily. It's the kind of print that has a white, almost embossed feel to it. It wants to grab the surface rather than glide thru. I'm looking for a picture since I'm sure no one will understand my explaination!

The Supreme Slider works great for FMQ. I do not use it with the walking foot - it defeats the purpose.

EDIT: this is the best picture I have of this fabric. But you can see the petals of the daisies are white, and they are kind of embossed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatFish
    If I have my stitches set too small the feed dogs and walking foot have trouble grabing the fabric. After reseting my stitches a bit larger I had no more problems.
    That was going to be my answer too. On a full quilt I have to make sure that the weight of the quilt does not pull away from the needle. I usually hold the quilt up and get a stiff neck instead.

The instructions that came with the walking feet for both my Viking and Bernina say to reduce the pressure as well as increase the stitch length when using them. Might want to check your instructions, too.

When I quilted at my machine I made sure the fabric was puddled in my lap so my machine didn't have to work so hard. Try to have no drag on your fabric.

The super slider is wonderful and makes the fabric move much easier. I also use a pair of garden gloves (with the dots) to guide my sandwich. I've found that my arms and shoulders do not tense so much.

Blog Entries
    I rolled the sides of the table runner up and clipped them with clothespins. Not fancy, but it seemed to work. I bought Machingers gloves and totally forgot to use them. Oh well, next project will probably go a little better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeysnana
    I rolled the sides of the table runner up and clipped them with clothespins. Not fancy, but it seemed to work. I bought Machingers gloves and totally forgot to use them. Oh well, next project will probably go a little better.
    I love those gloves! I used to use the gardening gloves, but these are better fitting and cooler. Plus I think they grip better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3