Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length? >

when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length?

when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

When I first started sewing (in the 70's) it was common practice of any establishment that sold fabric to cut a bit extra to make up for the fabric being on the bolt crooked. I can't remember what the common amount was. Maybe an inch to three inches per cut?? As the years went by the fudge factor that fabric stores gave went by the wayside. I remember not sewing for a good 10 to 15 years and was surprised the next time I went to a fabric store and they cut exactly what I asked for with no extra at all. After I got home and washed and refolded I found I would lose up to an inch of fabric when I squared it up. On average it was usually less, but sometimes much more .

I rarely buy fabric from a pattern, so I am usually getting a couple yards of this or that. But if I do buy from a pattern I always get more than I need. Most of the time I am only cutting off a few threads to a fraction of an inch when I square up but I have had a few purchases that were so cattywhompas I lost a couple of inches on a one yard cut.

I don't sweat it. To me it isn't worth the effort or frustration to try and argue with the LQS over a few fractions of an inch of fabric, especially when most of my fabric purchases are done on line. More often than not it is only a few threads. I am now pleasantly surprised if I get extra. I expect to get at least what I want cut but if I lose some in the squaring up I don't get upset (any more)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 AM

I don't expect extra fabric but the other day when I purchased 1/2 yard of fabric when I squared it up with the selvage sides one side was 6" short. Will need to go back into town and purchase more fabric. That is not the shops fault it is on the manufacture.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:58 AM

I often notice the shops around here cutting about an inch more - but it is a rare occasion that I find any cut of fabric that is actually straight on both sides, so by the time it's squared up, it's a lot closer to what it should be - I am just fine with that.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 AM
pw6

yep. make them cut it straight or make a fuss IT IS YOUR MONEY if you don't , so if you like to throw money away then go ahead and let them cut is wrong.. LOL I personally don't have money to waste so I am picky about the way they cut my fabric. most of the ladies here at joann's and walmart know me. I even fold my own fabric if I see them try to fold it any ole way.. Joann's is bad about cutting short and they will fuss if you make them give that extra inch but that's ok, give it to me anyway..
Old 03-04-2014, 11:30 AM

I want to get what I pay for. But a few years ago I was at a well known shop and was buying a lot of fabric - spending well over $100.00 in fabric, not to mention various other items and then one piece of fabric had 3 inches left on the bolt - most times when you buy that much it isn't measured, this was and as she was trying to figure out how much to charge me, I said, I didn't want it after all. She was rather shocked, but I didn't need it and felt it was more trouble than it was worth. (The fabric was not expensive, and the good will it cost has been greater than the 3 inches.) I still go back to the shop but make sure it is measured properly and I do't buy as much as I used to.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM

I always buy a bit extra because I like the scraps. My LQS cuts it right on the mark, however Joann gives an extra inch.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:46 AM

One of the LQSs in the area used to give their customers 1" for every yard you purchased. Now, they have gone to pre-cuts in 2 yard, 1 yard, 1/2 yard and FQs. The other LQS in this area cuts exactly. Hobby Lobby always gives a little extra, sometimes as much as 4", because they don't start measuring at the edge and they add a couple inches at the end.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

I don't expect to be given a generous cut, but I'm more likely to spend more money at stores who make this a practice.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:56 AM

I don't expect more either, but when I notice that they have added a little, I make it a point to thank them, so that they know their generosity is appreciated.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 PM

I don't expect extra, but I want what I paid for. I was in a store one day and watched the gal cutting fabric, actually using her fingernail to mark the end of the yard. She slid the fabric and then used her other nail to start the next yard. Absolutely not a thread extra. Not a problem, except as she slid the fabric her thumb slid and she was short about 1 inch. The customer asked her to remeasure and the gal acted as if she was doing the customer a favor. When she got to me, there was less that 2 inches of fabric left on the bolt. She figured the amount extra and said it was going to cost so-and-so extra, no discount or remnant price. I asked if she could give me that amount and she looked at me as if I asked for an entire bolt for free! She said absolutely not! I told her if she would not give me that extra small strip, either at a discount or free, then cut it off. She then told me I HAD to buy it because she was not allowed to cut off a remnant that small. If she could not a discount then Her having a small remnant was not my problem. I asked for her to get the manager. I pointed out that I watched this girl cut several pieces and every cut was crooked, shorting the customer. Told her what my situation was and she said "Go shop somewhere else". So I did. Since this happened, the shop has closed. Apparently strong-arming and intimidating the customer is not as bad as not paying your taxes.

Last edited by Bneighbor; 03-04-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Auto fill is my enemy