Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length?

I do not expect it, but there is a shop nearby that gives me an inch over just about every time. I think they are just making sure.
    Anne L. Fulton

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake.

I expect to get what I pay for and have it all be usable. When the cut is not square it really is a problemon't order extra yardage to account for some one not cutting properly.
    Cindy

Blog Entries
    I doubt I'd worry over 1/8 ' but if it was more than 2" I wouldn't be a happy camper. I've very seldom be shorted but have received extras quite often. Reckon I'm probably ahead but it's not something I'd stress about. As the saying goes,"don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff".

I don't expect extra. If I get it, that's nice. If I get less, that's a problem. Try to watch carefully and not get too chatty.

RST
    Blog Entries
    << But remember - it's not just you that wants the extra. If 12 customers want an extra inch then a third of a yard was "given away" to customers. The shop owner had to pay for that yardage and is either going to have to build it into her pricing or cut into her own profit.>>

So let's assume that the fabric in question costs $10 / yard, and over the course of 12 customers purchasing yardage, the store essentially gives away 12 inches of fabric. That's about $3.30. That $3.30 spread between 12 satisfied customers is just about the cheapest publicity/advertizing a store could ever hope for. Actually, the cost to the store would be well under $3, since the store is paying wholesale, but anyhow, let's leave it at $3. So for 40 cents per person (cheaper than mailing out postcards once you figure printing costs and postage) the store generates good will and repeat customers. I think they should go for it. Can't get a more effective or lower cost way to build a loyal customer base.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RST View Post
    << But remember - it's not just you that wants the extra. If 12 customers want an extra inch then a third of a yard was "given away" to customers. The shop owner had to pay for that yardage and is either going to have to build it into her pricing or cut into her own profit.>>

So let's assume that the fabric in question costs $10 / yard, and over the course of 12 customers purchasing yardage, the store essentially gives away 12 inches of fabric. That's about $3.30. That $3.30 spread between 12 satisfied customers is just about the cheapest publicity/advertizing a store could ever hope for. Actually, the cost to the store would be well under $3, since the store is paying wholesale, but anyhow, let's leave it at $3. So for 40 cents per person (cheaper than mailing out postcards once you figure printing costs and postage) the store generates good will and repeat customers. I think they should go for it. Can't get a more effective or lower cost way to build a loyal customer base.
    And by using a reverse example - say they short each customer 1/8 inch - saving themselves ? - and the customer chooses to never come back.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I know I am upset if I am shorted an 1/8 inch on a cut, and pleased to get extra.

When a piece is rotary cut, do ou expect to get the piece " cut to the neaarest thread" - or do you want/ expect " a litle extra"?

I am not aware of any other commodiity - such as meat , gold, gasoline - where we think we are entitled to " exrea"
    If I ask for a yard, I expect a yard----36 ". And I want it cut straight so that when try to get the straight grain on either end-----------I don't lose 4, 6 or more inches AND I HAVE BEFORE!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I buy lots of 1 yd pieces as I love scrappy quilts and I'm always buying "shorts". One day I decided to check my fabric and lo and behold it was all a great deal off - up to 5" off. I wrote and asked if there was a problem, got the fabric out again - red face - I had trimmed off 1 1/2", 2", and 2 1/2" strips for my scraps. I was doing this with my other fabric when this came in so I just cut it too and completely forgot. I was so embarrassed! I do find my online stores are good about cutting. If I get a wonky piece it has extra added to it.
    Judi in Ohio

I don't expect it but am always glad to see an extra 1/4 inch or so. Being shorted by a 1/4 inch or so doesn't bother me too much unless I needed exactly that much - in which case I usually ask for an extra 1/8 - 1/4 yard. What frustrates me is when someone who previously cut the fabric, cut on an angle and I get the fabric measured from the "short" side. I'll point it out when that happens.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

I don'expect anymore than I order but have found when I order online from JoAnns if I have the end of the bolt--they throw it in-A VERY NICE BONUS!

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast