Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt >

When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt

When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt

Old 06-28-2014, 04:32 AM

I make a lot of Bonnie Hunter quilts - mystery and those I've seen. Tobacco road was one I was not crazy about - didn't start it as the mystery and when it was almost finished I was glad I hadn't. Then Bonnie put flying geese as the border and it was love. So sometimes you just need to change it up. Really not liking is is not hating it. So just find an appreciative home for it and feel good about what you did.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Just give it the old one two and finish it then give it to the charity that you had made it for. FMQ has a learning curve just like driving or riding a bike. I am certain it is NOT as awful as you think because we are our biggest critics with our own work.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 06-28-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:48 AM

I have one like that right now. It was my first english paper piecing project and I used fabrics that someone else picked out for me with colors I don't like. It was good for learning the technique but now what do I do with the runner that I still haven't warmed up to? Maybe I should give it away like someone suggested here. Let us know what you decide to do with your Wombat as someone called it earlier.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:48 AM

A doll quilt for a charity- I think whoever receives it you will hear squeals of delight from. Little children are not quilt police but mommy's to their dolls.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 AM

I am one who usually doesn't like a quilt when I am finished. However, I have found that if I put it up and get it out later, I do like it. Whatever preconceived ideas I have about the quilt disappear with time, and I look at it with new eyes. I know my friends are so tired of hearing me say...."I just don't really like the quilt I just finished...." I am working on not voicing my negative vives....working on it....working on it...

Dina
Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
You already have some excellent solutions posted. I prefer to let things 'lie' for a while and then revisit them. Maybe you are just tired of looking at it. I know that is the problem with the one I am working on now. I need to get it finished asap but it has been in the works for too long and I am beginning to second guess myself.
I agree. Last year, I made a quilt top and the more I worked on it, the less I liked it. Didn't want to finish it, so just set it aside. About a month ago, I looked at it again and while it's still not my favorite, it's really not all that bad. Now it's finished and set aside, for giving. Sometimes you just need to take a break from a project.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:57 AM

I agree that putting the quilt aside to rest is what I do. When I go back to it, I find it's not so bad. If it's for charity just finish it up and get rid of it. It will brighten up someone else's day!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 AM

I am sure most of us have been in the same position. You are twice lucky though: it is a doll quilt and it is for charity.

I bet you learned something about what you don't like also.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:52 AM

I know how you feel!
I just had one LAQ'ed that was so flawed by red/white cornerstones that couldn't match up perfectly because the panel fabric's 'rectangles' were off to begin with. I'd loved the panels but wish they'd been consistent with usable measurements! Trying to adjust and match up rows/columns was impossible so the cornerstone problems stand out to me. A non-quilting friend said she really likes it. She's not bothered by 16th - 1/4 inch flaws. Perhaps I'll get over it. I don't even know about donating it to charity because it's disappointing for me. And, to think of what the fabrics cost and the LAQ'ing....
I'll post a picture when the binding's on and ask for some feedback and suggestions.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I have learned to keep a finished project I do not like out to be seen in my sewing room. Someone will say oh, how pretty and I say it's yours! It happens every time!