Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you see a quilt for the first time >

When you see a quilt for the first time

When you see a quilt for the first time

Old 06-28-2015, 06:17 PM

I agree, but what I think I am meaning,lol, is what attracts you to a quilt right off. I am always attracted by color first then the others follow. I will go to the quilts at a show that don't attract me by color and look at the other elements and enjoy them too, but the color is what catches my "eye" right off in a room full of quilts. Even with just one quilt if it makes me ooooh and awwww with the color I have to get closer to view everything else.

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
Totally agree....never the same thing...totally dependent on the specific quilt! Every quilt is special and can be a star for different reasons!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:25 PM
RST

And yet, color is the element that is most changeable, least stable in a quilt over time.

I think that much as I love color, I've learned to look beyond it when scanning quilts that I like, say on Pinterest or in a show. I get frustrated with friends and family who can't seem to look beyond the colors of types of fabric pictured when I suggest a design or style of quilt. So I guess for myself, actual colors are not the key element -- I'll be more about the values or the contrasts. It's reflected in my shopping too -- I am never one to spend a long time debating between 5 shades of beige or which white "goes".

Even as I say that color isn't the key for me, I admit I make exceptions -- there are some Kaffe Fassett designs where the colors are the star players, and nothing can alter that.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:23 AM

Color is definitely the deciding factor for me...if the colors do not catch my eye, I don't care for the pattern or the quilting.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 AM

Color, design, then quilting pattern. That was a good question. It made me think.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

I have to agree. Overall design first, then break it down. Saw a quilt at a show and there was so much dense quilting on it, you could barely make out the design or the colors. Just that it was a light colored quilt. The quilting was also done with variegated thread that only added to the confusion.
Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
What I like to look at first. The quilts total design. Second value contrast. Third color. Forth quilting.

Some quilts are all about color or quilting or value contrast or the print of the fabric. When that statement is strong enough I'll stop to look.

PS: I'm a fiber artist.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:30 AM

I too see color first. If I like what I see, then I look at the pattern. A whole cloth always catches my eye for beautiful quilting. Some times heavy quilting takes away from the quilt itself as I don't know where to look.

Last edited by fivepaws; 06-29-2015 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Misspell
Old 06-29-2015, 05:16 AM

I notice the colors, then design and the rest. Colors always catch my eye first.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:51 AM

For sure what RST said!
Old 06-29-2015, 06:41 AM

it's the visual impact first and that usually includes the design, color, and contrast. Sometimes it its the quilting. Since I began quilting I use all types of colors so color itself will not determine my interest.

But it's also what interests me. I am not interested in traditional applique so I won't spend a lot of time looking at a Baltimore album unless the colors, setting, and/or quilting are striking.

Since I got a longarm I pay more attention to quilting details than I used to, also.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

It is simple, I see the total package: pattern, execution and fabric used.