Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when are you... >

when are you...

when are you...

Old 11-30-2010, 11:53 PM

going to make quilt for me? I just hate it when people ask me this. I mean if my kids ask it is one thing - but when their friends keep bugging me it drives me crazy and really, really irritates me. It is not that they are saying "make me one and I'll pay for the fabric etc" - they mean "when do I get one?" I don't think they really realize the amount of $ and time that goes into a quilt. I mean, after all, wouldn't it be like me asking someone that has a painting business to come over and paint my house/walls as a free favor?
A friend of my daughters has been bugging me forever to make him a quilt. He sent me a text to day and in it mentioned whether or not I have made him a quilt yet. I guess I wasn't in a very good mood, plus was in the middle of trying to FMQ so my text back to him was that I don't make quilts for people that ask. It is just sometimes that I don't feel that non-quilters/sewers really appreciate the amount of work that goes into projects, plus the $.

so do you think I am being selfish or whatever with this attitude? what do all of you guys say when someone asks you?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:04 AM

No, you aren't being selfish. They are being rude. I would never ever in a million years ask someone for something like that. How rude!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:12 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I have a friend that scrapbooks and I've asked her to make me two pages.. one for me and one for my mom.. I bought her 'supplies' knowing very well she wouldn't take money.. I cannot imagine asking and at least not 'doing' or giving her something for her time and supplies !?!?!? I dont understand people sometimes... Why on earth do they THINK they deserve something for free??
Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you could do a

"Do you have any idea of what you are asking of me? You are asking me to spend $ and hours make a quilt.

Are you willing to spend the $ for the fabric (up front) and even $5/hour for my time - which includes planning, shopping, etc etc etc.

Or would you like to pay for the supplies and trade labor - hour for hour?? (And collect on the labor as the quilt progresses - no labor - no progress)

Sometimes I do believe that people think that the fabric just magically appears on our shelves - and some people think we make quilts just for the sake of "doing something" and they think they are doing us a favor by asking us to make them something to "keep us busy."

And some people are just plain dumb foolish rude or stupid.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 AM

No, you are not being rude. I make quilts for people whom I love and care about, as well as me. My question would be, "when would you like to go pick out the fabric and pattern? It will cost you approximately $____, and then we can set up a time when you can come help me cut it out and design it. I'll be more than happy to help you with it."
Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 AM

You could tell him to take a number... lol
Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

Truthfully I think its a compliment but,,,,,
I would say something like "I will make you a quilt but are you willing to buy the material and pay for the labor?" Then go on and explain the cost of everything.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:52 AM

You could say I only make quilts for relatives...

I never forgot a woman so aggravated with ppl asking how much would it cost, she did some figuring,copied it & gave to anyone who asked, including ppl she worked with.
It started out with 10 yds fabric,$9yd
batting
thread
backing
labor
& LA quilter.
She said the total even shocked herself....BTW,no takers :-)
Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

I smile and say "will add you to my list" Works every time.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 AM

I would make them one...if they picked out the fabric and buy it//along with thread...I would do it for free....because I love to quilt...its a hobby for me. To me if they are asking for a quilt that means they are just interested in what I do....my husband volunteers me to do quilts....and I end up paying for materials...now that drives me nuts....