Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: When you tie off your quilt instead of quilting......

Do you bind it normally w/a binding strip on the edge(after you tie) or do you sandwich, sew and flip right side out and then tie?? I am wondering for I think since we are doing quilts for a mission that it would be better to do the sandwich thing..and, it would be quicker..but, not sure...anyone??:)
    How do you tie??

Blog Entries
    Tying would be quicker.. here is a u-tube video on tying a quilt..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAyg_cs

you can do the flip and turn and add a "false binding", sewing around the edges,this helps to hold the batting in place at the seams, and makes the edges crisp looking. you can add a binding the regular way if you want.
    when i do tie, i tie a hand width away from each tie,which is about 5/6 inches apart.
    hope this helps!

let us know what you decide and show us some pictures!

The "pillowcase" style is quite a bit faster than doing a separate binding. If you do it that way, you tie afterward.

I layer, tie and then sew on binding..

This is a great topic. I've been thinking about tying a quilt to I just finished. So, this top is just what I needed.
    Judy in Ohio

when i've pillowcased, i turned, then topstitched the distance of the foot away from the edge, then tied. i try to tie with the ties on the back. i think the front looks neater. and i used embroidery thread, not yarn. i think it has a finer look.

in any case, turning is much faster than binding.

Thanks everyone for that pillowcase turning method! I am so going to try it!!:)We get together this next week and I am going to have one prepped if I have time to do exactly that!! We'll keep our fingers crossed:)Skeat

Sometimes when I "pillowcase" the quilt, I will diagonally quilt it. Then, I will put an inch "binding" around the edge. Meaning, I just sew around the edge an inch in. Looks cute.
    But, I have also tied it too.
    Tying does a job on my fingers, so just giving it a diagonal stitch or maybe a quick stitch in the ditch works great too!

It depends on how long I want the quilt to last. If it is going to see heavy use and I want it to last for a long time, I bind it. If it's specifically a baby quilt and I don't need it to last into childhood, I am comfortable using the pillowcase method.