Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can I buy "very lightweight" printing paper?

I'm getting into paper piecing and looking for the thinnest paper to print block patterns on. Where do you start to look, other than Office Depot or Staples? There must be quilting or craft stores that stock this type paper. Right?

Blog Entries
    Hi,

I just use the computer paper from Walmart and works out great!

It used to be easier to find cheap low quality ringer paper, I will buy whatever cheapest I can find walmart, target, but some is still thicker than I like for paper piecing. I love using Carol Doak paper tears easy. No torn threads, it costs more though. I will keep looking.

I've used the Carol Doak paper and reg. 20lb from Walmart. I think the next time I buy paper I'm going to try a lighter weight like 16lb and see if I like that better. To be honest, I didn't think the expensive was any better than the Walmart. The tricks are: Use a large gauge needle 14-16, a smaller stitch, bend before tearing off and when you get your block all piece and put together, GIVE IT A YANK FROM THE OPPOSITE (X) CORNERS. That particular advise came directly from Carol Doak.

I use light weight printing paper for cleaning my windows. It is also perfect for paper pieciing. You can box a large box of it at Walmart for 10.00 dollars.

Blog Entries
    i buy the children's drawing pads at the dollar store. since they're 9"x12" i have to trim them down if i'm using my regular printer. it's inexpensive and the perfect weight for pp.

i haven't looked for that $10 bundle at walmart. hmmm ... add that to my list.

The paper is in the packing department. It comes in a large box.

If you friendly with the nurse in you family doctors office, ask for the ends of the rolls of paper they use on the exam tables. A lot of time they change the roll before it is empty and get rid of it anyway. When they get a couple they call me. I'm sure not all of them will do this, but my will and yours might too.

Would newsprint work? It would be a lot of cutting but newspapers give away the end rolls (a teacher I know that worked at a newspaper once calls them stubs) for free which is sweet. I got one for testing out long arm designs for my quilting frame - which I have yet to use! I have been slacking off something fierce I know!

Blog Entries
    the paper in the pads i described is blank newsprint. it works great! :-)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast