Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Do I Begin??? >

Where Do I Begin???

Where Do I Begin???

Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 AM

Default Where Do I Begin???

I have my top pieced and have spent weeks trying to decide what to quilt in the blocks and sashing. I think I am ready to quilt it but am unsure of where I should begin. Do I stitch in the ditch along sashings first? Are the sashing strips too small? Would appreciate any ideas or advice!! Thanks![ATTACH=CONFIG]582086[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3414.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Ooooo...that's lovely! How about all over flower pattern?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM

That is a beautiful quilt! I wish I could offer a solution to your question, but I simply can't.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:01 AM

That is a really pretty top. Congratulations!
Are you an experienced Free Motion Quilter? Or are you going to quilt it by hand?
If you don't have much experience FMQing, I suggest you do something pretty simple so you don't get discouraged if it is too nerve-wracking. You don't have to stitch in the ditch unless you want to.
If you are asking "should I quilt all along the perimeter before I quilt the center?" I would say not to. You might lock in any puffy areas or pleats that could be smoothed out as you go, otherwise. Good luck, and be sure to practice on something less important, before you tackle that lovely top.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

First, I have to say I love the colors you picked. Second, whenever I do straight lines in the top I want to put a lot of curves in the quilting. Are you doing this by hand or on a long arm? I don't have the room for a big machine, so mine are always by hand.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Pretty top! If you are going to FMQ, I would either ignore the sashing and do an all over butterfly and loop in varigated thread or I might do ruler work in the white to put in secondary designs.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:18 PM

The first thing I'd do would be a continuous vine with leaves in the diagonal whites. You could add a five petaled flower at the intersections without interrupting the continuity. Little loop do loops across and up and down all the sashing. Stitch 1/4" inside the seam on the little triangles and on the butterfly. To finish the butterfly, I'd echo quilt it several more times.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:37 PM

Wow!!! Thank you all for your replies. I will be quilting this on a domestic Janome 6600. I am kind of a newbie to free motion but I do practice a lot. I find if I can make a decision then try it out on scraps and take my time I will be ok. Wish me luck. Funny thing about this quilt. When I started it exactly 1 year ago I had a totally different pattern in mind...but then I screwed up my measurements and cut all my pieces too small...so after some tears and bad language I went with plan B..I loved the fabric and couldn't bear to scrap it! I will audition all your ideas tomorrow..wish me luck. Thanks so much !
Old 10-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Just wanted compliment you on your beautiful piece, It's delightful.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

All over FMQ. It is a beautiful quilt so far.