Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do I start?

A woman in my church asked me to teach her to qult--she doesn't even sew yet. Any ideas where I should start?

If she doesn't sew, but has a sewing machine, my first lesson would be how to use the sewing machine (thread, tension, wind bobbins and practice different stitches).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qbquilts
    If she doesn't sew, but has a sewing machine, my first lesson would be how to use the sewing machine (thread, tension, wind bobbins and practice different stitches).
    Yes, I agree with this. You can teach her to sew a very simple thing...maybe a pot holder, a simple table runner, etc. I teach sewing at our church, and that's how I do it.

Find a beginners sewing book - have her start out with simple seams

I start with a simple pillow. Of course, after I learned to operate my sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    With a needle and thread she can learn what a 1/4 in is :)

I teach the potholder as you can do all the steps involved in making a quilt. fFor 1st potholder I use the birthing method so they don't have to play with binding. They will be so proud of their 1st finished piece.

I am teaching my DIL how to sew. First I taught her about the sewing machine, then taught her how to make a simple pillow case. Now we are working on a very simple tote. She still has a way to go but is now much more comfortable with the machine and understands better about straight seams and pressing so start her with something simple, maybe a rail fence and go from there. My DIL was so proud and excited to finish the simple pillow case but it gave her the incentive to go on.

When I taught my DGDs to sew, I cut out a simple garment, apron or something similar. I sat by them at the machine and guided them thru the process. That way they learned to use the machine and had something to show for it. Then we went on to whatever they wanted to make and they could use the machine with supervision.

An important thing is to remind her not to watch the needle ...watch the line you want to sew. I have taught a few folks and the needle going up and down seems to fascinate them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast