Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do you get inspiration for a quilt's label?

I finished a quilt for a friend's 40th birthday but still have to put the label on it. Perhaps reading where others get their inspiration will get my creative juices going.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I just write the who what whens and a note :)

i am in the same spot you are, all way have trouble with the labels

DO NOT put both the year +happy 40 th birthday---or you may just lose that friend!!!!!!!! 1]why you made it
    2]who it was made for 3]what year it was made---
    -add a care spot ie gentle hand wash dry flat iron from the back made with cotton fabric +poly batting---i like to give it a title ---+ i try to add a small poem[make it individual+personal]

I only had one label made for a quilt, which I'm still working on. I had mine embroidered because ink does not show up on black fabric and there's a bit of special meaning behind it. The first movie me and Andrew (who's getting the quilt) watched together was "Kamikaze Girls". Most of the movie revolves around a Lolita (Momoko) and a biker chick (Ichigo) trying to find a famous embroiderer to stitch "Thank you, Akimi" on Ichigo's kamikaze coat (Akimi is the gang's leader, who's retiring, and Ichigo is very grateful to her). Like in the movie, I didn't have anything too fancy stitched in. Besides the recipiant's name, who it was made by, and when it was completed (er...that's a little off, but no one's gonna know 100 years from now) I added "Merry Christmas" and "Aishiteru" as a little message. "Aishiteru" means "I love you" in Japanese. The first time I told him that I made him look it up when he asked me what it meant. Its all in red stitching because his favorite color is red next to black.

I guess when I was deciding what I wanted for the label I tried to find little things that held special meaning and let that inspire me.

for my favorite label i used a dog bone cookie cutter as a pattern. anyone that lives in washington state knows about cougars & huskies. the cookie cutter was a joke from a friend so it was a great way to return the joke to her.

If you do a search for quilt label sayings, LOTS will pop up. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Blog Entries
    The one I delivered today said:
    She who wraps in a quilt,
    wraps in a blanket of love.
    Happy Birthday, C----
    Love, Mom
    2011 These two lines were centered, but the computer keeps shifting them over.

She knows how old she is and who her mom is. I drew a heart and a few flowers on it, then blanket stitched it onto the back of the quilt (on the road while another daughter drove.).

Quote Originally Posted by Yaharalady
    I finished a quilt for a friend's 40th birthday but still have to put the label on it. Perhaps reading where others get their inspiration will get my creative juices going.
    I let the fabric design, the block design, and the quilt design assist me. I can scan in a portion of the fabric or another design to add to my label.

The wording is specific to the quilt and who it goes to. I may use a Bible verse, poem, or a short note.

I make my own labels using my printer/scanner and my computer Word program. Each label is unique to me and the person for whom the quilt is intended.

PM if you are interested in knowing more. I also just posted a response with a 'how to' in it.

ali

Thank you all for sharing your ideas. I love hearing about the processes others use. It gets my creative juices flowing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast