Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you get your quilt patterns? >

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 AM

I am big on "free" pattern. I will buy pattern from LQs but I get a lot of patterns from this board. Member post beautiful pics and often with the name of the pattern so I do a search on that pattern name , click, print and in the pile it goes. Also most on-line stores and fabric manufacturers have free pattern. So Many Pattern- So little time!!!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 AM

I have lots of books and magazines but don't use them that much for my quilts. Like so many others, I usually adapt my quilts from something I've seen. But some quilts are so unique that you really have to follow the pattern to get the quilt to look right. I usually take a longer time deciding what I want to make than I take making it. In fact, I've had a quilt in my mind for months but don't have the design finalized yet so I haven't started it.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM

I love making Samplers, that way I am not making the same block over and over. I love "quilters cache" so many beautiful patterns, then I design my own lay outs.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:57 PM

I've looked through Google images for "quilts" and found lots of great ideas. Youtube can also entertain me for hours. Jenny from Missouri Star Quilt company has some great quilt ideas. I also found Daniela from Cozy Quilt Designs. She owns a quilt shop near San Diego and posts her "Strip Club" video every month. She shows how to make lots of great quilts using primarily jelly rolls. Eleanor Burns also has tons of quilt tutorials on youtube. Pinterest has some great ideas as well.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:58 AM

For some truly beautiful, unique, fun and interesting quilts to make, check out this online magazine:
https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/...h/Onlinequilt/

This is an online quilting magazine out of Australia. Check them out. I think you'll find their quilts quite amazing. And they're all downloadable, so no need to worry about postage.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:17 AM

I have tons of patterns on my computer that I have acquired free on line. I have made a few tops from them and have discovered that sometimes it is all about the fabric choices made. I limit myself to starting two large projects a year and mostly do mystery quilts, wall hangings, and table toppers. My primary goal is still to learn various techniques and skills rather than making quantities (no room available for lots of finished projects).
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 AM

countrybumpkins.com.au a book and patterns called Sweet Memories. I bought this at sewing and quilt expo last year. have not made it yet but I am going to one day. I bought mine from Sewing machine mart out of Birmingham,al they do mail order and have a web site. just telling you for food for thought.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 AM

My favorite is sampler quilts made with all different star blocks.
Stars Across America by Eleanor Burns is great. Hers are the only books I buy anymore and even then its rare.
There are so many free patterns on line.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by isewman View Post
Dont know if this will abe of any help. Check out quilterscache.com. They have alot of patterns and in sizes also.
I was looking to see if anyone had mentioned QC. not only do they give you the block pattern, but also, a pic of how the quilt would look finished. I also have a zillion quilt magazines and books I have purchased. and with the magazines, I have started folding them open to a possible quilt pattern that had caught my eye. and then the pic's
posted here, always give me ideas.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 AM

Jingle and I seem to be on the same wave length--I have made several quilts through these methods, and everyone loved what I did--and didn't take three days in the designing process. Once I get a quilt idea in my mind, I find if I go straight out to my sewing room and make a mock-up square, I am good to go.....Love the process.