Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you get your quilt patterns? >

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM

Default Where do you get your quilt patterns?

I have a gazillion books and magazines with quilt patterns in them. But, they all seem to be the same ones? I am ready for something truly spectacular and fun to make. I have seen so many beautiful quilts here that are made by patterns that I don't usually see in any of my books. So, where do you get your patterns?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 AM

I like to surf the fabric manufactures web sites , most have a pattern section. Did you know most of Jenny Beyers patterns are free on RJR web site. I also surf pintrest.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 AM

I think alot of us look at commercial patterns and than modify, at least I do. I seldom make a quilt that is just the way a pattern says. Take Lori S advise and cruise the internet and pinterest. Many quilts are the same patterns but it is the color used and color placement that makes the quilt your own.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I like to surf the fabric manufactures web sites , most have a pattern section.
I also surf thru the individual quilt patterns from magazine sold on eBay. Sometimes it is much cheaper to buy a single pattern than buying the entire magazine.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I have a few books and couple magazines. If you Google free quilt patterns there are so many sites to go to. I have downloaded some. I have a note book with those who will eventually get a quilt. I write different patterns I think they may like and also their favorite colors.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 AM

See it here or elsewhere, like it, find the pattern! Or try to figure it out if pattern not available.
I have surfed mfgr sites for free patterns but find they are all about selling 15 kinds of fabric from one line, showcasing the fabric, and not always really good patterns.

Kauffman and Windham do have good patterns.

Haven't bought many books because I feel like there's a lot of stuff in them I will never use
Old 01-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

I have lots of quilt books and magazines with patterns in them. When making scrappy quilts I usually make up a pattern. I also get patterns from Jenny at MSQC on youtube and some from free patterns on the internet..
Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I have mostly bought my books and patterns at quilt stores. Also, on line at keepsake quilting and the fat quarter shop. I also have gone directly to a designers site and bought them.(Like bunny hill embroidery quilts) There is e-bay for patterns that are out of print or here at the quilt board too.

Oh, I forgot... at quilt shows!

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-28-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 AM

I tend to make up my own patterns a lot. I sometimes use graph paper to draw them out on and sometimes, I just start cutting and sewing and see where it takes me. My avitar is a baby quilt I designed and made from my stash for my youngest DGD. My DD said she wanted to do her nursery in hot pink and zebra and would I make a quilt for it. I did and I made matching crib sheets too.

Sometimes, I use patterns. I usually buy patterns at quilt shows. You get the newest ones there. Patterns are a great source of ideas.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 AM

All over the place - books, magazines, pinterest, etsy, quilt blogs - always on the hunt for something interesting. Most recently, I've bought the ruler and a pattern for sewkindofwonderful. Beautiful patterns with curves.