Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to Donate? >

Where to Donate?

Where to Donate?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:30 PM

The local guild also donates lap quilts to a dialysis center to give out to new patients. These patients get cold during their treatments.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:38 PM

You can donate to fundraisers for groups that may not be in need of quilts but funds. The quilts are either auctioned off or raffled.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

We donate to the local hospital pediatrics department and the fire department. Getting close to the holidays the American legion, VFW hall, any of those organizations that put together baskets/ packages for families generally appreciate the donations too.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:05 PM

I suggest looking up "Showers of Appreciation" on Facebook. It's a group who has baby showers throughout the US for our military (soldiers and their spouses). I make baby items (bibs, burp cloths) but I know they appreciate any handmade items. Large corporations also donate baby equipment items, but they say our military members and their families are greatly touched by handmade items. There are many photos on their Facebook of the showers that have been held.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by JudyBsquared View Post
I'm enjoying making baby quilts and now need to decide where to donate them. Do you ladies have favorite places or suggestions. I kind of feel like I'd like to give them locally. I've contacted a local Linus coordinator and have also called the local domestic abuse haven. I didn't sense a need for the quilts when I talked to them.

Thanks for suggestions.
I have contacted my local hospital and they did not have any problem with taking baby quilts for donations. That's the route I would go, I think.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

We have a women's shelter that is always in need of quilts of sizes from baby to twin. Also a Mission for the homeless in a nearby town. Perhaps try fire/police stations, or a pregnancy crisis place. Hope you find some place, as there are always folks needing a quilty hug!
Old 08-17-2016, 05:44 PM

The VA center in Marion, IL might be in need of wheelchair quilts.

The NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) of the large hospital (Like Kosairs in Louisville) have need of bright and cheerful sheets and "seamless" quilts about 24 x 36 to lay under the babies. They ask not to use yellow because it cause the babies to look jaundiced.

We have a local charity that has a backpack full of necessary items including a quilt and stuffed animal for children removed from homes ... they often have to leave with just the clothes on their backs. Your sheriff's department should be able to tell you who to talk with since they are involved in removing the children.

Be cautious about charities collecting to send items to the flood victims...too many are scams sadly. If you know of a trustworthy cause or church that is taking the items to the flood area, they could also use something to snuggle.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Also to be cautious about: giving to nursing home residents. Sadly, the quilts tend to "walk".
Old 08-18-2016, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by JudyBsquared View Post
I'm enjoying making baby quilts and now need to decide where to donate them. Do you ladies have favorite places or suggestions. I kind of feel like I'd like to give them locally. I've contacted a local Linus coordinator and have also called the local domestic abuse haven. I didn't sense a need for the quilts when I talked to them.

Thanks for suggestions.
I donate lots of my baby quilts to the police dept. They keep them in their trunks of the car. Just like the Teddy bears from years ago. Give them for children. I just drop them off.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 AM

There is also organization, Quilts for Kids