Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to find a sewing table? >

Where to find a sewing table?

Where to find a sewing table?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:04 PM

DH built mine. I ordered two desk height (29") cabinets with 3 drawers each, back and trim for corners from the lumber yard. After DH make a top for it, 31", perfect height for me. He extended the top over the sides and back. I picked white sparkle formica for the top, a little slick. Ordered a machine lift, traced around my sewing machine & cut the opening. He put bracing underneath to mount the lift and drilled a hole in the back down low for the cord to go through. I love it!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:17 PM

To keep your machine from moving when you sew, put some of the rubber shelf linner under it. Makes a big difference.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:21 PM

I ordered mine from Amazon, it is called Gidget by Arrow Industries. I have two of these and have been very satisfied with them!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:36 PM

I paid $45 for mine at the thrift store. It opens to 88" and has 7 drawers. I LOVE it! They don't make the new ones with that many drawers any more.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:45 PM

I bought a Sew-Ezi table for my Babylock and it's one of the best purchases I made. You just let the company know what type of machine you have, what model, and they have acrylic that is the cut to exact size to fit your machine. You can get one full piece also to use for a light table (setting an Ott light below). The table's portability and space-saving size are quite convenient. It's a good investment. I think it was less than $250 when I bought it.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:57 PM

I have an Arrow Gidget II similar in size to a sew ezi and I like it but it doesn't have a huge work space. I think they have a larger version in the Kangaroo line that runs about 800, my gidget cost me about 170
Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Good luck with what you decide on. You have to figure out what you are willing to spend, how it will work in your space, and do sit down at the table you decide on and see how you like sewing at it. Most of what I have used have been too high, too low, not big enough for my machine or tables that have been altered somewhat to fit my machines. Nothing worked exactly right until I just found the right table...

I just purchased a Koala SewMate IV at the LQS. They had lowered the price because she said people were buying $600-800 sewing machines because of the economy and didn't want to put it into a $3000 sewing center! So that's why they had reduced it to get it out of the shop for the room. I love it and it is fabulous. I have been looking for one for a long time and had been looking at this one for about 5-6 months in the shop and finally it came down to a price I was willing to pay. I tried all kinds of tables and desks but nothing works as well as this one. When it is set up I will post pics!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:43 AM

check out www.sewperfecttables.com I LOVE mine!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 AM

I have a Gidget 1 table which you can get in the back of most quilting magazines. They have two sizes & they fold to put away if you don't want it up at some point. I was fortunate to get a used one cheap, but new go up to $250.00 plus shipping, the last time I checked which was a while ago. It's extremely sturdy & well made. I really love mine! My machine sits down in & the table is big enough for my needs.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:41 AM

Check out IKEA. The table top combined with two Alexa cabinet make a inexpensive sewing table with storage.