Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to find a sewing table? >

Where to find a sewing table?

Where to find a sewing table?

Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 AM

Default Where to find a sewing table?

I have been needing a sewing table for a while. One that the machine sets down into. My machine slides all around when I quilt and I need to stabilize it.

Any suggestions where to buy one from? Or where to find plans to build one?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:21 AM

I got mine at a Sewing Machine dealer's store. It is on wheels has a drop down leaf on the back side that opens up to make a big table when needed. Also has door with storage drawer & shelves on the left. They provided the insert to fit around my Viking Rose machine. Just hoping they still provide this if I change my sewing machine. I just can't imagine not having this flat surface to sew/quilt on.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:04 AM

I posted about my new table a couple of years ago, I still love it!
Here's a link to my original post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t161455.html
Old 02-22-2015, 07:51 AM

I was seriously considering a brand new one at a pretty stunning cost (~ $3000), because I figured since most are well over $1000, I might as well bite the bullet and buy the dream! Well, as fate had it, the very next day one appeared on craigslist. (I've been watching craigslist for almost 2 years) Its not the "dream", but everything I need and perfect for my space. It is not in perfect condition, but has a couple cosmetic dings. But I got it for under $300!!! Now I can also get a new chair, some lighting, the acrylic insert that fits, and possibly a new small TV to keep me company! I'm picking it up today - I am so excited.

Be patient, you will find just what you need. Look for something sturdy, and stick to your guns so you'll be happy with whatever you decide on in the end.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:25 AM

google building plans for sewing table and lots of ideas come up.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

EB had her son on the show (seen on PBS) that took a normal kitchen table, cut a hole in the table and made a shelf unit so that her DSM sat in the well. Might do a u-tube search for it.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:10 AM

Craigslist is the best place for saving money on sewing machine cabinets, or tables to convert as above. Some cabinets are generic and the machine sets down onto a small shelf to give you a flat sewing surface. For machines which attach with hinges to the table for folding down be sure the hinges are properly spaced for your sewing machine. Sometimes you can find a listing of which cabinets are made to fit your machine. If it is a Singer try checking their website or call them.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:49 AM

I just purchased a Sew-Ezi table for my new Juki. It's light weight but strong, folds flat and has a bag for travel and came with one acrylic surround and you can buy additional inserts if you have more than one machine. It was just over $300 tax and shipping included in Canada. The best thing about it is you can easily move it, it doesn't take up huge amounts of space and I can sit directly in front of the needle and not off to the right as with my older much more expensive cabinet. I would definitely check this one out.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:10 AM
yel

in the mean time put a piece of that waffle stuff they use for shelf liner [or under rugs ]to keep it from walking for now
Old 02-22-2015, 11:12 AM

I have the SewEZ table also. My Janome came with a table and when I got my Hus/Viking sewing/embroidery machine I needed a new table. So I got the acrylic insert for the new machine and an insert to make it flat when I use the machine for embroidery. I also use the table when I need an extension when quilting something larger on the Janome. The table does come with a travel/storage bag and it has a pocket for the inserts. And it has wheels under the table so it is easy to transport when it is folded.

What size table are you looking for? And do you have a price range? Are you able to make the changes to a kitchen table or desk? More people can help if they know what you want.