Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Where to purchase cotton sateen for whole cloth design?

Where to purchase cotton sateen for whole cloth design?

Hi-

I am wanting to venture out into making a whole cloth design but I've read somewhere that cotton sateen is really nice to use..can someone please tell me a place where to purchase this type of fabric? I don't really know what it is..thanks, JC

Searching Cotton sateen came up with a link to Hancock fabrics

Try Christianlanequilters.com. They usually have cotton sateen in stock.
    Gretchen Adams
    Thestitchwitchstudio.blogspot.com
    APQS sales, service, rental studio

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Kona cotton PREMIUM is a beautiful satiny cotton available in black or white in shops online.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Banned
    search on Robert Kauffman web site

Cotton sateen is made with a special weave that makes the finish of the cloth look very smooth, rich with a nice sheen. It's not shiny at all, it's just very smooth. It's a lovely fabric finish. You CAN wash cotton sateen, but the weave sort of 'fluffs' after it's washed and the smooth finish will never be the same as when it was new. Some people dry clean to keep the original sheen. The fabric will still look beautiful and smoother than regular cotton fabrics, it just won't have that sheen you get with cotton sateen.

Some people can't tell the difference between washed cotton sateen and unwashed. It's a preference I guess. You might test wash a sample to see for yourself.

Another thing I should add, the right side of the fabric is definitely different from the wrong side. You'll want to keep track of the pieces for your whole cloth quilt. It's sort of like nap in a carpet. Sometimes you can tell when the nap isn't matched until the light hits it. So be sure to keep the right side and wrong side marked. You'll see a definite difference when the light hits it if you put the right side next to a piece that is wrong side up.
    Last edited by Christine-; 04-16-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm