Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: White Batik

  1. #1
    Senior Member Quilterfay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Saskatchewan in summer/Yuma AZ in winter
    Posts
    550

    Question White Batik

    I am planning on making a Wedding Star quilt out of Batiks. I want the melon or centre to be white. Has anyone ever used the plain Batik fabric used for dying in a quilt? I don't want to dye it, I am just wondering want color of white it is.

    The rings are going to be a purple and turquoise/aqua down to a creamy white and turquoise/agua
    in it. So I need my background to be the correct white. I have all the fabric for the rings and the star part I just need the back ground.

    I had though of using a white tone on tone 100% cotton but that may not work as the cotton and the batiks would not have the same shrinkage factors.

    Trish at the Quilting Bee is ordering me in a bunch of fabric that are mainly white but they are on back order until September and I want to get going on this before than. I quess I will have to get her to order in the white for dying.

  2. #2
    Super Member Treasureit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    2,629
    I looked for white batik for a long time for a quilt I am making and I have given up on a really white one. The ones I found were pinkish or bluish. I am using one regular fabric in my quilt and hope that it will be OK.

    My suggestion is that you pre wash each of the batiks (separately) and treat them with Retayne...I think that is the name. It keeps them from bleeding. I found a big difference in the fabrics and how they bleed....they all lost some dye.

  3. #3
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Most PFD fabrics are bleached so that they are optically white in order to keep the subsequent dyed colors true. I can't imagine that the PFD batik is any different. (PFD batik is really a misnomer since it isn't batik until after it's dyed. Batik is the process, not the cloth itself.)
    Last edited by ghostrider; 03-19-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,017
    in my opinion it is not batik unless it has color. I have a complete color chart from Hoffman 1895 Bali Waterolors and all of the very light ones have a bit of tint in them No pure white.
    You might write a company such as Hoffman and ask if they make one,

  5. #5
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grundy Co Illinois
    Posts
    5,034
    I had a batik that had such light color to it that it was almost white. I had to hold it up to light to see the very faint markings on it. They showed well enough when it was wet, but when it was dry it was very faint. There was some overall color to it ... a very light cream.

    I've seen some recently in LQS that are very light, but none recently that were as light as the one I had. I've only got scraps left otherwise I'd offer it to you.

    As Hollis and Ghostrider pointed out, there is no such thing as a "plain batik". Batik is a dye process, not a fabric. The fabrik used however is slightly different than most quilting cottons as it has a higher thread count. You might check with fabric stores that carry a variety of quality fabrics to see if they have a white in a high thread count that has the same "hand" as a batik.

    You also said you wanted the same fabric so the shrinkage factor would be the same. I presume you are not pre-washing? If not ... have you considered pre-washing and drying - that way neither of them will shrink after pieced/quilted (and if you use a cotton batting, the batting if not pre-washed/dried WILL shrink and give you that "crinkled" look if that is what you are looking for).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  6. #6
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,055
    Hoffman is now selling a 220 thread count bleached white PFD cotton lawn that is being hyped as the same base fabric they use for their batiks. I believe that is what the OP is talking about. It is not batik until it's dyed, as has been said, and will have no pattern/design whatsoever. IMO, it will simply look like a plain white sheet, very boring.
    http://softexpressions.com/software/fabrics/PDF.php
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    in my opinion it is not batik unless it has color. I have a complete color chart from Hoffman 1895 Bali Waterolors and all of the very light ones have a bit of tint in them No pure white.
    You might write a company such as Hoffman and ask if they make one,

    this is true, I have a bolt of the "batik" made for dying and it is nothing more than a tightly woven fabric made to BATIK dye/paint. Any other fabric that is a "white" batik will have, yellow, blue, brown, etc in it so that you can see it is "batiked". which is really just painted with dye and salt, no real batiking method is used in making those!

  8. #8
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilterfay View Post
    I am planning on making a Wedding Star quilt out of Batiks. I want the melon or centre to be white. Has anyone ever used the plain Batik fabric used for dying in a quilt? I don't want to dye it, I am just wondering want color of white it is.

    The rings are going to be a purple and turquoise/aqua down to a creamy white and turquoise/agua
    in it. So I need my background to be the correct white. I have all the fabric for the rings and the star part I just need the back ground.

    I had though of using a white tone on tone 100% cotton but that may not work as the cotton and the batiks would not have the same shrinkage factors.

    Trish at the Quilting Bee is ordering me in a bunch of fabric that are mainly white but they are on back order until September and I want to get going on this before than. I quess I will have to get her to order in the white for dying.
    If you find a tonal you like, wash it good, as you do the batiks. If each is good quality, you won't have much if any shrinkage.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pepita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond, TX
    Posts
    409

    Batik

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Hoffman is now selling a 220 thread count bleached white PFD cotton lawn that is being hyped as the same base fabric they use for their batiks. I believe that is what the OP is talking about. It is not batik until it's dyed, as has been said, and will have no pattern/design whatsoever. IMO, it will simply look like a plain white sheet, very boring.
    http://softexpressions.com/software/fabrics/PDF.php
    You are right, about a batik being dyed, but it is also boiled to remove the wax. I think this is part of the process that makes the weave so tight. So even if you buy the same fabric before it is dyed it still won't be just like the batiks.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

  10. #10
    QM
    QM is offline
    Super Member QM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern California mountains
    Posts
    6,294
    Most batiks are printed on a fabric that is very tight to start with. The shrinkage is only about 3%.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.