Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WHITE FASHIONAIRE 2380 SEWING MACHINE >

WHITE FASHIONAIRE 2380 SEWING MACHINE

WHITE FASHIONAIRE 2380 SEWING MACHINE

Old 07-31-2010, 07:08 AM

I am trying to buy my first sewing machine for quilting and wanted to know if anyone had any info on it. I googled it and it seems like it would be good but it doesn't say anything about quilting on it. It is for sale at a local pawnshop new for only $50. and would be a steal if it is good for quilting. Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:11 AM

It is hard to know if it is in good working order - in a pawn shop. You would probably need to purchase a 1/4" foot & a walking foot for quilting by machine.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 AM

You could at least piece with it. It has 80 built in stitches so it might have the blanket stitch to do machine applique with. For 50 bucks I'd grab it.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:43 AM

check to see if it has the ability to drop the feed dogs, which is useful for free motion stitching.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 AM

This is the info I got researching. I was thinking if it is new in the box as the pawn shop states then all I would need to get would be a quilting foot.

White FashionAire Model W2380

The White model 2380 FASIONAIRE inspires creative sewing with upscale features like a one-step buttonholer and built-in basic, decorative and stretch stitches. The White FashionAire is a breeze to operate ly both Learners and Proficient sewers. If you are looking for great features at an attractive price - choose the White model 2380.

MAIN FEATURES
80 stitch functions accomplished from 16 easy dialed stitches make sewing a delightful experience.
One-step buttonhole feature creates perfect buttonholes in all sizes.
Fully adjustable stitch length and width enable the sewer to customize stitches.
Heavy duty- the machine will easily sew all types of fabric.
Stitches can be selected with the turn of a dial.
Retractable feed dogs enable mending or embroidery.
Die cast aluminum construction ensures durability.
The electronic foot controller provides constant power to sew all weights of fabric.
The built-in carrying handle makes it easy to transport the machine.
The handy free-arm also provides accessory storage.
The presser feet snap on or off, no need for a screw driver.

ACCESSORIES INCLUDED
All purpose foot
Zipper foot
Buttonhole foot
Rolled hem foot
Button sew-on foot
Pin tuck foot
Blind hem foot

STITCH FUNCTIONS
Straight stitching, Button sew-on , Mending stitch, Durable stitched seam, Decorative crescent stitch, French seaming, Corded buttonholes, Zigzag stitched seam, Peak point foot, Welting, Seam/overcast, Multi-stitch-zigzag edge finish, Mending seams, Chevron stitch, Back stitching, Twin needle hem, Domino stitch, Flat fell seaming, Variable stitch width, Double fold hem, Crown stitch, Shirring, Pleating, Elastic casing, Stay stitching, Stippling, Tucking, Blanket binding, Rick rack, Basting, Tailor tacks, Machine quilting, Honeycomb stitch, Gathering, Smocking, Sewing ribbing, Zipper insertion, Channel quilting , Applique, Stitch-in-the –ditch, Blind stitch appliqué, Motif quilting, Slant-over edge stitching, Eyelets, Elastic stitch, Piecing, Sewing darts, Stabilize stretch seams, Bar tack, Couching, Blind hemming, Twin needle tucks, Shell tucking, Rolled hemming, Ruffling, Edge stitching, Faggoting, Satin stitching, Straight stretch stitching, Interfacing, Elastic application, Monogramming, Over cast, Facing, Pin tucking, Embroidery Wide zigzag stitch, Sleeve set-in, Buttonholes, Zigzag seams, Narrow zigzag stitch, Garment construction,, Lace application, Thorn stitch, Ribbon casing, Make rod pockets, Cording, Top stitching, Elastic casing, Under-stitching.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

That info is typical of all sewing machines in that it describes in glowing terms lots of functions. Here is a link to a picture of the machine:
http://www1.dealtime.com/xPF-White-S...re-Sewing-2380

It looks like a typical modern bottom-of-the-line sewing machine similar to the ones you can purchase at Walmart, etc. Just by looking at the picture, it appears to have fixed stitch-length and stitch-width for each stitch selection. This is definitely a bottom-of-the line characteristic. Better machines have variable stitch length and stitch width for each stitch, so the user can adjust the stitch for specific applications.

This doesn't mean the machine is bad; just that you may be able to find the same type of machine on sale new for less than $100.

I found a review for the 2360 model at http://www.patternreview.com . You have to join the website (it's free) to read that review, but I was able to see that the reviewer purchased the machine for $175 three years ago. My computer stalled at the login, so I couldn't read the full review, but you might have better luck. Search for "White" under the category of "sm and sergers" to find the review.

It's likely an okay machine for piecing, but might not be great for machine quilting.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:19 AM

Thanks soooo very much for the input. :) I definately don't want a machine just for piecing as what would I do after that? I guess going for the Brother!