Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: White machine/ what is its date

White machine/ what is its date

I went by a thrift store and found a White Rotary machine. Very nice with dark brown crinkle finish. The price was $75.00. Don't know if that is a fair price. Can't find a place to look serial number (43-227401). Can anyone enlighten me on this machine. I'm tempted to buy it.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Check out this section of the Quilting Board for best/quickest help in this department.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Western Wisconsin
    Blog Entries
    There are White rotary enthusiasts. I think Treadleon is a group devoted to them (they often convert regular White rotaries to treadles because they are such workhorses). Check groups.yahoo.com for a vintage White group, and also Google Treadleon for more info (seems to me it was Captain Jack who headed that group).

All that being said, I personally would not buy the machine as it's really heavy and there is very little (if any) resale value if you ever get tired of it. I also think $75 is too much. These machines often do not sell well even in thrift shops because their weight makes them very difficult to move around. I would recommend caution. Do some research online before making a decision.

I don't think the serial # on a White makes it easier to date, as I don't think records were kept on the serial #'s. It's mostly Singers for which serial # can be useful for dating.