Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who likes to  paper piece? Lets Chit Chat! >

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
I love PP and have taught a class in it. My avatar is PP, and it's a queen sized quilt.

One hint I haven't seen mentioned on this thread: when pressing, do not use steam, and use a cloth on your ironing board as sometimes the ink from the paper will transfer.
The quilt in your avatar is absolutely stunning!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt
I LOVE to paper piece! I have one comment to make, though. You suggest to "starch" the finished block. However, I found that bugs (especially carpet beetles) will eat the starch and destroy your hard work. They literally leave holes in the fabric. What I found is better is "sizing". This stiffens the fabric but is not a starch product. This starch problem has been verified by various quilt appraisers, teachers, etc., I am not making this up. Just thought I'd help. :idea:
I agree. I use sizing also.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky
Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Originally Posted by Sparky
I love it too. I'm self taught and have a problem with doing things in reverse. I've had to work out my own system. The quilt on my atvar was paper pieced, over 1000 pieces in a 36" circle.
WOW, that's awesome. How long did it take?
The piecing took I about 30-60minutes for each section, there were 60 sections. I got faster as I got used to it. The color and fabric selection took a long time. I spent about 6 months working on the quilt.
Your quilt is stunning!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 PM

I have done a few pp blocks ---but I used to work with a gal that did lap size quilts and wall hangings with scenes (I guess like the scout one) however I can't find patterns, all I find is blocks --- anyone know a source?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM

In that picture, it's not really too far off. Persoanlly, if it bothered me, I would unstitch some of the lines and ease the points to match up.
I love the whole look and the colors. This is a keeper.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Paper piecing is so accurate ! go to www.quiltworks.com to
see Judy Niemeyers patterns and quilts. her insttuctions are very clear. SOME of them not as hard as they look. smitty
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Smitty, I went to the quiltworks site & all I get is "website cannot display pg.". I tried over & over in case I had misspelled it but that's all I could get. Is there a more complete name possibly?

Pat
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM

I absolutely love paper piecing. One of my favorite books is 'Foundation Paper Pieced Stained Glass Quilts II' by Liz Schwartz & Stephen Seifert. They have several books of wonderful patterns. Just Google them or the book to see what I'm talking about. The book is also on ebay.
PP is especially the way to do stars or mariners compass - the points come out exact.
Be sure to leave the paper (I use reg. copy paper) on until your project is together except for a few seam allowance areas where several seams come together.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 PM

I didn't read all of the responses on this thread but, if you haven't tried paper piecing using freezer paper, you ought to try it. soooo much easier. My first PP is the one you see as my avatar. I completed it four or five days ago using the tear out paper method. It was fun and the compass turned out terrific. Someone else from the guild that I belong to showed me the freezer paper way and that is my chosen method now. Eliminates a lot of bulk.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 PM

e