Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who says there's no reason to pre-wash? >

Who says there's no reason to pre-wash?

Who says there's no reason to pre-wash?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Just as a note-- many battings also shrink a bit. I always read the label when I am deciding which batting to use in which quilt. Sometimes I want a puckery antiquey look, like on my reproduction quilts, so I want the batting to shrink up a bit.

On my favorite battings, these are the shrinkage rates.

Hobba 80/20 shrinks about 3% after washing, warm or cool.

Quilters Dream 100% cotton shrinks 1% in a cold wash and 3% in a warm wash.
Quilters Dream poly shrinks only in warm wash, 1%.

Ironically. Quilters Dream Wool doesn't shrink. Go figure.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:39 PM

I used to prewash-spent hrs ironing wrinkles out.the qtys I buy I would never be able to sew if I had to wash it all 1st.knock on wood-I have never had a problem because I did not prewash and saved a lot of water,time and effort
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Is it possible that your 60" wide fabric was cotton but home dec weight fabric rather than quilting weight cotton and that's why it shrank so?

Jan in VA
I'm interested in this - why would that make a difference? Are the cottons treated differently? I learn something every day on this board :-D
It's very possible they are treated different if it's a home dec fabric. Home dec fabrics aren't necessarily meant to be washed. It might have been a dry clean only fabric.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM

lots of people don't prewash for lots of reasons. you have to do something to the ends so they don't turn into a thready mess.
you have to separate colors to avoid bleeding or use a color catcher or synthropol. and then you have to fold and press.
sad to say, there are no shortcuts that i ever found to work.

others prewash because because fabrics are not woven to the same thread count and will shrink unevenly. if the colors are going to bleed let them bleed now. if the fabric is going to end up limp as a rag let it happen now. if the fabric has been exposed to harmful chemicals (they are) not everyone wants them in the sewing room. fabric is manufactured in 3rd world countries and brought here. what else came along for the ride?
also, i recently was given fabric that i thought wasn't good enough to use, but after prewashing, it shrunk in and got tighter. so, fabric that i would not have used before, i was happy to use after washing. score one for me.

i'm a firm believer in prewashing. i want to know how much fabric i really have after shrinkage and warping, even if it means more work for me now. as for the 'wrinkly look', batting shrinks enough to get that look anyway.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I love the wrinkly and shrunk look I get from not prewashing. But I read in one of my new quilt books that the author gets a very wrinkly look by pre-washing the fabric and using 100% cotton batting. When it is washed and dried, it is very antique looking, she said. I may give it a try and see what kind of look I get.
Yes, that's how I get the "antique-y" look of my quilts. The Warm & Natural I use does shink slightly, just enough to give it that "used" look.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I thought I read in one of the stack & whack books - that you shouldn't wash the fabric before hand - I think the reason was that washing sometimes warped the fabric so it as harder to cut the stacks correctly.

Will have to reread that part of the book
I thought I read that too!!!
No prewashing for OBW
Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM

what a lot of discussion this topic always generates!! I never prewash as I like the fabric as it comes off the bolt. I always wash my quilts when they are finished, and have never had a problem - some of the fabrics don't even wrinkle up all that much - depends on how much quilting. It really is a personal choice, and I can't see the point of washing all the sizing out and then starching the hell out of the fabric to make it stiff again!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:35 PM

ohhhhhhhhh.........as a past 4-Her, being taught to pre-wash fabric before making clothing and whatever else, didn't change for me when I started quilting. Old habits are hard to change. But I also learned something else. I buy most of fabric at quilt shops, so I do buy quality stuff, fat quarters and larger amounts. My third quilt I completed 8 years ago was for my daughter and husband. I prewashed all the fabrics, a navy blue (Nancy Crow), a bright yellow, white fabrics with scrappy blocks (misc scraps from 20 years of sewing and quilting). Used a marking pencil made for quilting to mark personal design long-arm quilting on borders. Once LA quilting was completed, put binding on and did a final washing before it was given to the kids. My mother was just sick, when she pulled it out of the washer.......the blue ran, ran, ran...the yellow ran, ran, ran. And to top it off........the varigated thread (high-end)purchased at a quilt shop also ran for all it was worth too.........My mom felt so bad, because of the work I had put into, and knew that I had washed everything before hand, and also knew that I had hand washed in kitchen sink (HOT water) the "blue" before I put it in the washer for a general wash. As you can tell I was't taking any chances. Well even after that, it still ran.

Yes, we don't like the threads from the fabric after a washing, but my cure for me, is to only "fill" in hot water, run on gentle cycle, and "spin" twice. It cuts down on the threads that we get. As to the fat quarters, and I just also include doing this for the Jelly rolls, I wash in hot water in the kitchen sink or very large bowl. I have found that using my spagette spoon for stirring helps "stir-out" any color that might be left on them. You will be surprised how many times it will take to hand rinse before the water is clear. then I run on the gentle cycle in "spin" mode.

I have use the "color catchers", and believe they work really well. I even include a couple when I've given a quilt to someone with explanation of use. Was told if I had use this for the kids quilt, in the pre-wash stage, may not of had the running of fabrics. Course they had just come-out, so I hadn't heard about them till after this had happened. I now use the "color catchers" when I pre-wash "all" my fabrics whether for quilting or clothes. Then I press them with my iron and starch as I am working on blocks.

Hope I helped someone with my 30+ years of experience with fabrics.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Robinlee
ohhhhhhhhh.........as a past 4-Her, being taught to pre-wash fabric before making clothing and whatever else, didn't change for me when I started quilting. Old habits are hard to change. But I also learned something else. I buy most of fabric at quilt shops, so I do buy quality stuff, fat quarters and larger amounts. My third quilt I completed 8 years ago was for my daughter and husband. I prewashed all the fabrics, a navy blue (Nancy Crow), a bright yellow, white fabrics with scrappy blocks (misc scraps from 20 years of sewing and quilting). Used a marking pencil made for quilting to mark personal design long-arm quilting on borders. Once LA quilting was completed, put binding on and did a final washing before it was given to the kids. My mother was just sick, when she pulled it out of the washer.......the blue ran, ran, ran...the yellow ran, ran, ran. And to top it off........the varigated thread (high-end)purchased at a quilt shop also ran for all it was worth too.........My mom felt so bad, because of the work I had put into, and knew that I had washed everything before hand, and also knew that I had hand washed in kitchen sink (HOT water) the "blue" before I put it in the washer for a general wash. As you can tell I was't taking any chances. Well even after that, it still ran.

Yes, we don't like the threads from the fabric after a washing, but my cure for me, is to only "fill" in hot water, run on gentle cycle, and "spin" twice. It cuts down on the threads that we get. As to the fat quarters, and I just also include doing this for the Jelly rolls, I wash in hot water in the kitchen sink or very large bowl. I have found that using my spagette spoon for stirring helps "stir-out" any color that might be left on them. You will be surprised how many times it will take to hand rinse before the water is clear. then I run on the gentle cycle in "spin" mode.

I have use the "color catchers", and believe they work really well. I even include a couple when I've given a quilt to someone with explanation of use. Was told if I had use this for the kids quilt, in the pre-wash stage, may not of had the running of fabrics. Course they had just come-out, so I hadn't heard about them till after this had happened. I now use the "color catchers" when I pre-wash "all" my fabrics whether for quilting or clothes. Then I press them with my iron and starch as I am working on blocks.

Hope I helped someone with my 30+ years of experience with fabrics.
^^^5's from a Canadian past 4-H'er :thumbup:

Any others here with green blood? :) :
Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stacey
I have always prewashed my fabric. Then I use a lot of starch. And my quilts still get that old quilt look when washed.
That's because the batting shrinks.

On a different note, I want to point out that fabrics that are washed will likely shrink a lot more than fabrics that are not washed but heavily quilted into a quilt. Quilting stabilizes the fabric to the batting and backing. A fabric that would otherwise shrink more than the other fabrics in a quilt will only shrink as much as the quilting permits. That's why, for example, people like me who do not prewash fabrics don't see horrific amounts of shrinkage in finished quilts. I just adjust for shrinkage of the batting (about 3% in the all-cotton batting I use), as this is what will control shrinkage of the fabric.