Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who is your quilting guru? >

Who is your quilting guru?

Who is your quilting guru?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:08 PM

I shy away from classes because I'm a terrible student. I need time to think about what is being presented and go at my own pace. I would be the one holding everyone back. My solution for this was to read everything I could get my hands on from all the quilting authors I could find and then make my own way. The library was my best friend when I was a new quilter.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 PM

I took my first, last and only real quilting class, a hand-pieced sampler class from Cindy Walter. Cindy passed on to us her grandmother's way of piecing and hand quilting. I appreciated that and it's stayed with me throughout my quilting career.

I appreciate anyone who makes quilting accessible, emphasizes that you don't have to have the greatest tools to participate in this creative hobby. Bonnie Hunter is a good case in point.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
I..........

I appreciate anyone who makes quilting accessible, emphasizes that you don't have to have the greatest tools to participate in this creative hobby. Bonnie Hunter is a good case in point.

AMEN!!!!!!!!

I could not have said it any better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

I would love to have the opportunity to take a class with Sharon Schambers. I think she is probably the epitome of my quilting guru for just about every aspect of quilting including her amazing longarming skills. Without a doubt she is the entire package.

I have been fortunate enough to take a class with Karen McTavish and she is an awesome instructor and a wonderful person, witty, funny, encouraging. Taking a class with her is worth it just for the comedic value.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 AM

I really like Bonnie Hunter. She is so down to earth and normal despite having such great success as a professional. She teaches multiple ways to do things then encourages you to figure out what works best for you.

I feel really lucky to have a few local teachers that constantly encourage me to learn new skills while reinforcing the basics.

I'd love to take classes with Jenny Doan from MSQC and I've heard Eleanor Burns is hilarious.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 AM

I have a collection of quilting and sewing classes from Craftsy that I learn from. Instructors may do things different but I try different ways and decide what is easiest for me.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 AM

I have taken quite a few classes, after years of being afraid too- boy I wish I had started sooner! One of the best was at Houston, and given by Phillipa Naylor on precision piecing- a whole afternoon on one block and I learned so much! Recently our guild hosted Karen Combs, who was wonderful, she does beautiful work and is an EXCELLENT teacher...I can do "Y" seams now! Every class has taught me something..sometimes it is just "that isn't for me" but it is always worthwhile.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 AM

It would largely depend on what type of inspiration I am seeking. For getting me out of my color confines .. it would be Kaffe Fassett. For scrappy inspiration it would be Bonne Hunter and members of this board. For a quilting attitude adjustment its Eleanor Burns.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 AM

Leah Day is the quilter I follow the most. (Online, I mean. I don't stalk her!) I can't even tell you how many hours I've spent watching her videos...they're hypnotic. She does amazing FMQ on a domestic machine, which I find to be very inspiring! And I think it's great that she's so young - I love seeing people younger than me who are into quilting.

I haven't been lucky enough to take a class with any of the 'big names' yet. Maybe some day.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 AM

Eleanor Burns is on the RFD channel on TV. I think that's what it is. Rural Farm.
She was my main teacher when I started quilting. Not in person but on her website are lots of videos.
Love Jenny Doan also but El.s methods are better.