Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Whole Cloth Preprinted

Whole Cloth Preprinted

I've decided I want to try hand quilting a whole cloth and have some questions. Do you use batting between the top and bottom just like in a regular quilt? Do you match the color of your thread to the fabric or can you choose a different color thread? Which is best? This will be about 22"x22" so fairly small. That way I can build up to a larger one. I've always admired the whole cloth and told myself I could do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

I have done several of these pre-printed quilts. I did some baby quilts first and just finished(Christmas time) a king size! I do use batting mostly warm and natural. As for thread color, try a few you like by quilting a small line and see which one you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by jj82 View Post
    I have done several of these pre-printed quilts. I did some baby quilts first and just finished(Christmas time) a king size! I do use batting mostly warm and natural. As for thread color, try a few you like by quilting a small line and see which one you prefer.
    I bet your King size is gorgeous! How long did it take you to finish it? If you have a picture I'd love to see it.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Blog Entries
    I would probably use Hobbs 80/20 for batting -- easier to quilt than Warm and Natural. You can use any color thread you like. A contrasting thread will show your stitches off more -- which can be either good or bad, depending on the evenness of your stitches. I think it helps to use a thread specifically designed for hand quilting -- stiffer than regular thread, so less likely to tangle.

I think I'm going to try Mettler Pearl Gray since it's not too dark but will show a little on the whole cloth.
    Kim