Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: whole cloth quilters

whole cloth quilters

I was wondering how do you decide what designs to use and what do you use to transfer with?
    Stenciling, or do you buy the cloth already stamped? I want to do one, but with my own design..Now I just need to figure out what design...and how to transfer it to the cloth.
    thanks for any suggestions.

I've done 2 wholecloth quilts. In both cases, I designed them myself and traced the pattern onto the fabric using chalk pencils and a light box. Then I made a "template" out of bridal netting, using a sharpie to put the design on the netting - once the sharpie marking is dry, you can position the netting over the top and trace through it. That way I could refresh any lines that rubbed off.

You can buy stencils and trace those - probably a whole lot easier. And our Holice has some sensational whole cloth designs that are prestamped onto muslin.

Good luck!

Janet

I have done two whole cloth quilts, both were Holice's stamped tops. They were a joy to do and very well designed.
    Quilt outside of the box!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    I've done 2 wholecloth quilts. In both cases, I designed them myself and traced the pattern onto the fabric using chalk pencils and a light box. Then I made a "template" out of bridal netting, using a sharpie to put the design on the netting - once the sharpie marking is dry, you can position the netting over the top and trace through it. That way I could refresh any lines that rubbed off....
    I love your netting hint!
    Nancy in western NY

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I love your netting hint!
    Thanks, Nancy. It's a lot less tedious than making templates for ornate shapes. It's a bit stretchy but if you're careful it really works.

Janet

Blog Entries
    I bought a whole quilt stamped top at Lolly's Fabric Store in Shipshewana Indiana last fall while there for a meet and greet. I loved the design and thought it would be a great top for me to practice my hand quilting. It currently sits in my "to do pile" as I have had other "gift" projects to do first; currently working on a jeans quilt to be finished by my granddaughter’s graduation. The fabric of the stamped whole quilt top is of excellent quality so I am excited to clear up my projects and give it a try. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    You can choose to live your live as though nothing is a miracle; or as though everything is a miracle!

Whole cloth quilts are very rewarding and so enjoyable to make. I have made two both stamped but have the fabric in stash for another. I use the netting idea for my embroidery and it is most successful. If you decide to at some stage work on a stamped top keep it away from fluids. I have found working from the centre out is most important and have been looking at marking one on a soft gold colour background. Creams and whites are nice but think about colour maybe your backing. I use a soft pencil that I wash out when the quilt is complete.
    Merivale
    Australia.

I am working on a whole cloth................for about 15 years. It is Hawaiian and I traveled to Ohau to "study" Hawaiian quilting twice. Someday I will finish.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

there are places that sell designs for you to use. some have alot of different ones. I used too a lot of whole cloth quilts from miniatures to queen size. I had a large table made out of wooden doors with hinges to fold out. I used silver, white, and yellow pencils for marking. You could do a google search of whole cloth quilting and find information. Good luck.

I only do whole cloth quilts and have done between 45 and 50 so far in different sizes. Sometimes I use the precut stencils but most times I cut my own cardboard templates. I am always very inspired by traditional whole cloths from North England and Wales and I love to use their classic patterns. From time to time I make my own designs and I also do freehand quilting (and marking).

My favourite marking method is needle marking with a darning needle. That works perfect for me on light and medium colored solids. For very dark fabrics I use watercolor pencils in a color a few shades lighter than the fabric.

Good luck and enjoy your project!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast