Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whole Cloth Quilts - with a twist? >

Whole Cloth Quilts - with a twist?

Whole Cloth Quilts - with a twist?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Has anyone ever done a whole cloth quilt, by hand, with a twist. Let me see if I can explain. . . I have done a Q size white with white thread that I drew the pattern onto myself (my avitar), a K size natural color with natural thread (pre-printed), and they are both beautiful, classic whole cloths and I love them. I have another pre-printed natural K size top that I want to do, but I kind of don't want to do it the same way, I mean, why? I was thinking maybe change it up a little, and I had some different ideas:
1. A different color backing - navy blue, black, red - and still quilt it with natural thread, that way one side would be classic, and the other side would pop;

2. A different color backing as in 1, but quilt it with the color of thread of the backing, that way the natural side would be different;

3. A different color backing as in 1, or a pastel, with different color thread: the flowers in pink, yellow, red; the leaves in green; the cross-hatching in natural; the "frame" in black; etc.;

4. A different color backing as in 1, but if the backing is black, quilt all over in red thread; or if the backing is red, quilt in black thread, etc.

keep in mind that it will be hand-quilted, so both sides of the thread will be the same (unlike machine quilting where the top thread can be one color and the bobbin thread can be another color) and the stitching will be broken, hand-stitches.

Has anyone ever done anything like this, and if so, can you post pictures? I know I will get some great suggestions. Thanks. I'm thinking of doing this for a wonderful sister that I love very much, and want it to be special.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Go to BornToHandQuilt's profile and look at any of the topics she's posted:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_pr...?usernum=15425

Stunning work, not exactly the 2 sided items you mention, but many that are not the typical white-on-white.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Your options are endless. Enjoy the journey
Old 07-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
Your options are endless. Enjoy the journey
Indeed!! I love going here and just drooling over the quilts. So many ideas!

http://www.eons.com/groups/topic/249...e-Cloth-Quilts
Old 07-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

All of your ideas will produce stunning results :D:D:D
Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Banned

I believe at www.quiltingstencils.com there are pictures of the many ways the preprinted mini wholecloth have been finished. I saw one of the Pennsylvania Dutch queen preprinted wholecloth at a show in which of the motifs was quilted in a different color. I have quilted them with contrasting thread and varigated thread. Certainly the backing can be any color you want for a two sided quilt. I have a couple older wholecloth that are two sided with thread matching one side and contrast on the other.
I made one of the minis and double layered the top and cut out for a reverse applique frayed edge look. It was black on top with bright batik showing through.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

I should have looked before I wrote. Yes, go to www.quiltingstencils.com and click on "Project Gallery" and look at the way they have been done. Most of these are from customers of the product.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Sounds good no matter how you choose.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by KyKat
Has anyone ever done a whole cloth quilt, by hand, with a twist. Let me see if I can explain. . . I have done a Q size white with white thread that I drew the pattern onto myself (my avitar), a K size natural color with natural thread (pre-printed), and they are both beautiful, classic whole cloths and I love them. I have another pre-printed natural K size top that I want to do, but I kind of don't want to do it the same way, I mean, why? I was thinking maybe change it up a little, and I had some different ideas:
1. A different color backing - navy blue, black, red - and still quilt it with natural thread, that way one side would be classic, and the other side would pop;

2. A different color backing as in 1, but quilt it with the color of thread of the backing, that way the natural side would be different;

3. A different color backing as in 1, or a pastel, with different color thread: the flowers in pink, yellow, red; the leaves in green; the cross-hatching in natural; the "frame" in black; etc.;

4. A different color backing as in 1, but if the backing is black, quilt all over in red thread; or if the backing is red, quilt in black thread, etc.

keep in mind that it will be hand-quilted, so both sides of the thread will be the same (unlike machine quilting where the top thread can be one color and the bobbin thread can be another color) and the stitching will be broken, hand-stitches.

Has anyone ever done anything like this, and if so, can you post pictures? I know I will get some great suggestions. Thanks. I'm thinking of doing this for a wonderful sister that I love very much, and want it to be special.
All four options sound great! I think you have four quilts planned out waiting for your needle.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 PM

Those quilts are all beautiful. I would love to do a wholecloth quilt someday. I have a question--are there patterns available or do you just make up your own?
Sue