Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do I Have to Buy New Rulers for Every Quilt?

Blog Entries

Why Do I Have to Buy New Rulers for Every Quilt?

It seems like every time I want to make a new quilt I have to buy another ruler ? This time it is a Tri -Rec Tool. For making triangle. It looks like the triangles are more spiky then normal triangles. ANybody have the answer? I am hoping to make a Civil War quilt in the Fons and Potter magazine, called Evening Start. Has anybody made this one before? I am getting really tired of buying new rulers. Maybe I just don't have enough tools yet.

Usually you can get the same angle on one of your other rulers. I have bought a few for different quilts then noticed I could us one I had.

I honestly don't think we really do need new rulers... It's as if we have a collective reputation for being bad in geometry and math, which I refuse to believe we are. We used to use templates and/or work out our own angles, and we can still do it. Different types of triangles are not rocket science!
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

I have purchased many rulers only to find out that I could have used one I already had. Study the ruler and make sure you really need it and can not do the quilt without it.

Blog Entries
    Joanns carries Tri Rec rulers. Use a coupon!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
    It seems like every time I want to make a new quilt I have to buy another ruler ? This time it is a Tri -Rec Tool. For making triangle. It looks like the triangles are more spiky then normal triangles. ANybody have the answer? I am hoping to make a Civil War quilt in the Fons and Potter magazine, called Evening Start. Has anybody made this one before? I am getting really tired of buying new rulers. Maybe I just don't have enough tools yet.

What kind of quilts are you making? I have some square and rectangles, more for convenience than anything. But I've never bought a certain ruler for a certain quilt. I think someone is taking advantage of you.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
    Typo? Evening star?? That quilt is about as simple as they come. A grade school ruler would do the job
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Most quilts can be made with just one or two basic rulers and templates. I'd rather spend the money on fabric!

Agree with all the above - I only have a few 'quilting' rulers and a basic maths set - its just a way to make you spend more

Quote Originally Posted by ludlowquiltandsew View Post
    Most quilts can be made with just one or two basic rulers and templates. I'd rather spend the money on fabric!
    I agree....and if you find the job of working it out too difficult...ask someone in your family to give you a hand....there's usually a math whiz somewhere amongst family or friends. They get a kick out of helping too

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast