Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do seam rippers have cylindrical handles?

Blog Entries

Why do seam rippers have cylindrical handles?

I am so tired of mine rolling off to parts unknown (usually under the extension table). It has not got a nice wood turned handle, you understand- it is just injection moulded plastic. Would it not be just as easy to make it a shape to fit the hand and not roll?!!!!
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Wrap a rubber band around the handle several times. Harder for it to roll away and gives you "something" to hold on better with.

Be nice to yourself and get the Clover seam cutter. The shape of the handle prevents if from rolling, it fits nice in the hand, has a wonderful sharp sharp point.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

i have numerous seam rippers- all shaped/sized differently- they do make them---i have ones that are triangular, a rubber (ergonomic) one, ones that have pointy ends, a beaded one....just shop around & find one that *suits your fancy* a bit better- or wrap something around it to give it some 'grip' like a rubber band, yarn, ...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Clover makes both a white round handled one, a flat while one (Premier) and a brown flat handled one with a plastic point cover. All have that fabulous narrow point and very sharp blade. LOVE 'em! I buy the brown flat ones for less than $4 usually and keep 4-5 on hand.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

I love those brown-handled Clover seam rippers too, also the white round-handled ones. I tried the two-tone purple Dritz rippers (tried 2 or 3 of them) and the tips broke almost immediately. I don't know if it was just a bad batch or if the points are too narrow for the metal they're made of, but I don't intend to try them again.

Blog Entries
    I have never seen that Clover ripper with the brown handle!!! I have several of the blue plastic flat handled ones though. Cheap and easily replaced. However, I am now on a quest to find that Clover ripper!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I replace seam rippers often. If I have to tug on a thread for it to cut then it's no good to me anymore. I like the Clover round white handle one. It just looks a little more elegant to me.
    Got fabric?

Thanks Jan! I am going to get some like those. I to am getting tired of chasing mine!

I have the brown one shown above, as well as the Clover one with the white round end.
    Both are equally as good for sharpness and fine point.

However, I like the feel of the round white one in my hand, much better than the flat brown.

Get in the habit of putting the round ones in the same place all the time ... where you know it cannot take off on you!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast