Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? >

Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 AM

Some were given to me, my bernina, by a dear friend that knows I sew. I just get tired of using the same machine. I have an old green sears kenmore that I just love to piece on. She is good for nothing but that. Sometimes one starts "acting up" and I put her down for a nap and grab another one. I feel I am fortunate to have choices.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 AM

I have a Bernina 820 and from Wal*Mart I have a Brother. We are leaving for FL today and I am taking the Brother. It's lightweight and easy to handle. Also, I do not want my Bernina traveling in the car for such a long period of time.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 AM

3 Pfaff sewing machine, a Pfaff serger, a Brother and a Janome.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 AM

I have 3 Janomes and a Singer overlocker (serger)

My first Janome I bought in 2001 after owning a Lamair for over 30 years. I had been doing some research because I had decided to buy a new machine. I won $500.00 from my husband, in a bet. I couldn't get to the machine shop fast enough after work. I bought it on a Friday afternoon leading into a long weekend. Fun weekend. I use this machine for going to group or workshops. It's the lightest machine.
I started Patchwork lessons in 2003 after losing my youngest daughter. Something to keep me focused. In 2007 I bought a quilting frame at a quilt show. Soon found that my machine would only quilt about 3" at a time. Tedious. I also gave up cigarettes which allowed me to save. By 2009 I had saved $2000.00 and bought a 6600 on special. By then I didn't have room to leave the frame up and it stayed in it's box. That's about to change now I have my quilting room although I read on this board just days ago that even the 6600 is really too small. I'm saving again towards a long arm.
In 2010 one of our little group passed away suddenly and I bought her MC10000 from her husband. Oh what fun I've had with this machine.
Lastly is my overlocker which I have had for about 30 years. I still use it when I'm doing charity sewing and on the odd occasion I make some clothing item for myself.
Ten years ago I would never have imagined owning more than one machine. My how quilting has changed my life.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 AM

I have four. Two are Featherweights - a Centennial model that was my grandma's, and a white one that was my mom's. I got them when they passed. One is an old Kenmore in a cabinet that was given to me when my favorite aunt's mother-in-law passed. My aunt didn't sew and didn't want to just get rid of it. Then my hubby bought me a nice Janome for Christmas about 3-4 years ago when I decided I wanted to machine quilt. I'm not really a collector - it just sorta happened. The Kenmore will be going to my aunt's granddaughter as soon as I find the time to take it to her (she lives a couple hours from me). She wants to learn how to sew and it's a good basic machine, and since it was originally her great-grandma's, it seems like the thing to do. I don't ever use it.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Just cause I love the machines. I like collecting them, some I sew with, some I just have! LOL!
Ditto for me
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 AM

I have 2 - a 40 yr old Singer Touch and Sew, and a Pfaff Embroidery machine I got 5 years ago. Most quilting has been done on the Pfaff. The Singer has been in the basement, and I don't go there much. Right now it's on the main floor, so I'm using it. The Pfaff is portable, so I take it for quilting bees and weekends. Also have a Baby Lock serger that I haven't used too much. I'd like to get a smaller and lighter weight portable machine like a Singer Featherweight.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 AM

I piece on one, sew apparel on another and embroider in yet another one!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rushdoggie View Post
I have 2, my basic Kenmore which has a zig zag and works great but was really small to machine quilt on, and my Juki2010Q that I just got at Christmas for quilting. I use the Juki for most piecing and quilting but I can use the Kenmore when I need to zig zag, or sew clothes as it has a free arm.
My juki is like yours but model TL98Q. I love that machine, it's a work horse and so easy to quilt on!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 AM

I remember seeing my first embroidery only machine and saying "who needs an embroidery only machine, who spends that kind of money?" That was my trip into machine buying. I have sewn for a long time - 68 now, started at 10. I bought a Viking Rose when they were just one step below the 1+. Forgot my first Viking, a 6420 that I killed with use. I've had all kinds of machines in the years since. I now sew with a Janome 7700, a Juki 98Q, Juki F-600, Viking SE, and a Babylock 10 needle, and a Juki 5 needle serger. I love them all. I didn't mention my oldies but goodies, a gorgeous handcrank that was my sil (I picked it out for her husband for Christmas, she died the next year, but she loved that machine), a 301, 201 (still the most beautiful stitch I've ever seen) and 2 221's. and a Maximatic Necchi - I consider Necchi to be the most fabulous of all vintage machines. There was nothing made like them. I am slowly rehoming as I have too many machines, 6 set up right now. The 10 needle, the Janome, the 98 & serger Juki's and a 201 with walking foot attached in a lovely table.
If you have 1 machine what do you do when your main machine is embroidering. Especially in the 10 needles case as you walk away from that machine and need something to sew on.