Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you read The Quilting Board? >

Why do you read The Quilting Board?

Why do you read The Quilting Board?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 PM

I am living with my husband's brother & his wife. (Waiting for a house to be built). I have very few tools, and my machine here. I read this board when I can't sew, or I have gotten so frustrated with my lack of...........
you all inspire me and keep me quilting in my heat & heart. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM

You might want to suggest to her that we beginners could use some advice from her simply because she has so many years of experience.

I come to the board for many reasons - friendship, learning, laughing, showing off my work.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM

I totally agree. A board like this is for beginners to experienced and we can learn from one another no matter what level we are at.

One does not know it all no matter how many decades one has been quilting. There is alot to quilting from traditional, contemporary, MODERN, free form and much more. Lets not forget hand piecing and quilting as well as maching cutting fabric and machine sewing.

I am on here for the knowledge I gain from beginners to experienced and every one in between.

Someone like you mention who says its for beginners usually think they know it all and you can't teach them anything and also are not willing to have an open mind to doing things differently than what they learned. Which brings me to something that was said this evening at a local group. There is a lady who does a show of her quilts every year. She literally has a hundred or so quilts and all hand pieced and hand quilting. She refuses to accept that unless it is done by hand piecing and hand quilted it is not a quilt. She refuses to even have a discussion about quilting that brings up machine sewing and quilting.

Than you have those that are die hard traditional quilters who feel the same way as she does regarding the form of quilting. If it is not traditional it is not quilting.

Than you have contemporary quilters who are more open to trying new ways of quilting.

Than you also have MODERN quilters who are the rebels of the group who refuse to be cookie cutters and use patterns of any sort and who do there own thing in free form designs. I fall into this category.

Personally I feel there is room for everyone in this art form and we should be respectful of each others way of doing things when it comes to this art form.

We all learn from each other on boards like this no matter if what we read is from a beginner novice or an experienced person. IMHO knowledge of any type is power and helps us to do things better.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
I totally agree. A board like this is for beginners to experienced and we can learn from one another no matter what level we are at.

One does not know it all no matter how many decades one has been quilting. There is alot to quilting from traditional, contemporary, MODERN, free form and much more. Lets not forget hand piecing and quilting as well as maching cutting fabric and machine sewing.

I am on here for the knowledge I gain from beginners to experienced and every one in between.

Someone like you mention who says its for beginners usually think they know it all and you can't teach them anything and also are not willing to have an open mind to doing things differently than what they learned. Which brings me to something that was said this evening at a local group. There is a lady who does a show of her quilts every year. She literally has a hundred or so quilts and all hand pieced and hand quilting. She refuses to accept that unless it is done by hand piecing and hand quilted it is not a quilt. She refuses to even have a discussion about quilting that brings up machine sewing and quilting.

Than you have those that are die hard traditional quilters who feel the same way as she does regarding the form of quilting. If it is not traditional it is not quilting.

Than you have contemporary quilters who are more open to trying new ways of quilting.

Than you also have MODERN quilters who are the rebels of the group who refuse to be cookie cutters and use patterns of any sort and who do there own thing in free form designs. I fall into this category.

Personally I feel there is room for everyone in this art form and we should be respectful of each others way of doing things when it comes to this art form.

We all learn from each other on boards like this no matter if what we read is from a beginner novice or an experienced person. IMHO knowledge of any type is power and helps us to do things better.
I totally agree, in this past year of have joined a quilt class of mostly retired age ladies (I am the youngest) but because of that I sometimes feel like they are treating me as an outsider and they can be a bit snarky. The teacher is awesome though and she is accepting of me. but the rest? I hope that when I get of "that age" I will be more accepting of new ways,and young people. I am a longarm quilter, but also enjoy hand work ( I have two hand quilting projects in the process right now.) I don't know it just seems they are a bit "clique". Off my soapbox
Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 AM

Like jcrow I have learned more from this board than from anywhere else. I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge of the members/participants and encouragement shared with everyone. I have learned how to improve quilting, love the tutorials, used tips and suggestions, bought helpful tools but most of all appreciate "I am not alone" in trying new things and succeeding. Thanks to everyone for being a part of this great group. Encouragement is a wonderful tool -- in fact it is the best tool to motivate us in our quests. God bless you all!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM

All of the above. Plus I have no friends or family who sews or quilts. I feel like when I come here to listen and discuss techniques and projects, I'm among the smarted quilters in the world. You ladies are my friends.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Why do I love this board. . . let me count the ways. . . Sorry I just couldn't resist. There are so many ideas, new techniques, tips,patterns, tutorials, etc, etc. then there are the wonderful quilts to see, stay current, find interesting sites, tools and the list goes on and on. It's great to help other with something I've struggled with and maybe find a better solution. It's fun to share what you've done and read the comments. There are so many reasons and that is why I wouldn't miss reading this every day.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM

I enjoy seeing what others are doing. And I find I can always learn something new.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM

Hello all you fellow quilters, ---words just do not fill all the love, support, fun learning, visiting, eating, you name it as this board does for all of us. I thank each and everybody for "learning to live" and "living to learn" as we do on this board! This is my favorite spot of the day (besides my sewing machine itself) and where I cannot miss a comment, helpful hint, ways to do things and teaching all the many ways each of you so gracefully share with all of us! Thank you and I will keep reading and learning (great way of life too). Marilyn
Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM

I get a lot out of this board - more than I can list - but the main thing is that it helps me to stay focused on this hobby rather than drifting off after the next "sparkly" as I have tended to do over the years. Not a day goes by when I don't see or read something inspiring here that makes me want to stick to quilting.

Probably your friend didn't mean that to be as insulting as it seems, but she didn't see the value in it for herself because she just has not experienced anything like it. Even a big, friendly, talented quilt guild can't come close to the kind of interactions we have here. It's an excellent example of a global village, where we are sharing our brains and our hearts and we have others to turn to with our questions, problems, joys and sorrows, triumphs and goofs 24 hours a day, every day!