Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you sew or quilt? >

Why do you sew or quilt?

Why do you sew or quilt?

Old 06-27-2014, 01:25 PM

Sanity.... It is wonderful therapy.....It's a chance to be creative...cuz i sure can't paint, write or sing....the ability to give gifts that are useful and not "store bought".....the chance to leave something of "me" behind besides memories when i'm gone.....It gives me joy and pleasure......hmmm....i think i could go on for a while, but will stop there.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 PM

Because I play with way more colors, shape, etc. than when I make clothing.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:36 PM

I have always loved to sew, I use to make all my clothes and for my daughter also. Now I just quilt. My grandmothers were the quilters in our family. It is a way to stay sane in this crazy world we live in. I make quilts for Project Linus. I love reading this thread.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:39 PM

I started sewing as a young wife and mother with more time than money. I have always gotten immense satisfaction from making something beautiful - be it sewn, knit, crocheted, embroidered or quilted. My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother sewed, knit and crocheted, but I'm the only quilter in our family. My daughter is so talented and has taught herself to sew and upholster. I, too, love the thought that some of my quilts will out-live me and bring memories of me to my family after I'm gone.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Default Sanity

I am blessed to be able to work from home; that being said we live out in the boonies and I need something to do in my free time. I learned to sew on a old treadle machine when I was 9. Always wanted to resume sewing but kids and work always took precedence. Hubby has always been on me to get a hobby, so I took up quilting!!!! He never says 2 words about my purchases and is very supportive of my fabric addiction. But, I do share with my sisters in laws (2 quilters) when they come over. Unfortunately we are all very different personalities so the "let's get together and quilt" won't ever happen!!!! I have always felt that I was born in the wrong era!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 PM

I started doing needlework at a young age, 8 or 9 or so. Taught myself how to do it. My Mom sewed clothes, and I took sewing a couple of years in school but didn't like making clothes so I went back to needlework. Then I got into counted-cross stitch, which I still love to do. My friend who taught my counted cross-stitch wanted to learn how to quilt so I went along. I love working with colors and making happy quilts. It takes me a while to complete one because I am a slow sewer, although I have picked up my pace lately. My dream house would be on a lake with a quilt on every bed and one on every wall. Lap quilts on the chairs and sofa!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:19 PM

For me it has been a journey. I started with needlepoint, to painting, to scrapbooking, to quilting. It's a creative outlet. I love the creative process, feel of the fabric and the colors.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:44 PM

I think its out of my control - does that make sense? I went through years I sewed and then when my kids were little I sort of slowed way down. I find it wonderful therapy. My job is crazy.. a lot going on and some long days. But when I start working on my machine all of that work stuff goes away. Its like sewing purges all of that nasty work stress and thoughts out of my mind....and someday I hope to be blessed with a grandchild.... and I consider my work now practice.. learning more and more. So that if I am blessed with a grandchild I will be able to make a wonderful quilt for that little baby. Maybe they will have that quilt still even after I am gone
Old 06-27-2014, 03:02 PM

I learned to sew as a small child because my mama and granny sewed everything we wore. By my teens I made all my own clothes. I think it was necessity back then because fabric was cheap and we were poor. I always loved sewing of any kind. Sewed for my girls, then grand girls. Did alterations for many years as a paying job. Got into quilting when I ran out of other projects to do. It keeps me sane, lets me express my creativity, and I just love it...I give away all my quilts. I really need to go back and see if I can figure out how many...it's a LOT!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 PM

I liked to can my food for the same reason, you could look at it when done and feel accomplished through the year instead of cleaning and have to clean again the next day. I started sewing to save money, then because I just liked to sew, now I quilt for me and myself and I to enjoy it and get through the stresses of the day, etc.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
At one time, it may have been to save money -

But it sure is not that way now!

I think I started out sewing in an attempt to get things to fit the way I wanted them to. (And that was when I still had a whistle-worthy body!) I didn't succeed very well at that - but I did learn a few things along the way.

I think I sew now because, unlike housework, laundry, and cooking - one can "finish" a project - and not have to redo it the next day or next week.