Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why does my fabric pull away from the machine at the end of a seam? >

Why does my fabric pull away from the machine at the end of a seam?

Why does my fabric pull away from the machine at the end of a seam?

Old 01-29-2015, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
I am sorry to say but everyone I know has the same problem. It is not your machine it just happens.
I make sure I have an ender so that seems to have corrected the problem for me. I really like the seam guide that DogHouseMom has on her machine.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I learned how to prevent this from Bonnie Hunter in one of her workshops. Put your left index finger on the left side of the pressure foot edge as you near the end of the seam. No more veer. It's automatic for me to do this now. Taking classes and workshops from knowledge quilters is so worth it, I learn little tips like this that improve my piecing.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:19 AM

I use a stiletto to the hold fabric straight through the end. This is a common problem.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:17 PM

I tried Onebyone's way and it worked perfectly every time. It's so easy, no fussing or needed tools. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:41 PM

The user is the problem..... Mine sometimes goes off to the right, which means that i let go of the right side when coming to the end of the seam- so the last inch of the seam is slightly off to the right, because I still have hold of left. I've done this so many times that I have to make a special effort to keep it straight. I think it is because I'm in a hurry and my right hand is already in position to lift the foot and get the fabric outta there. lol
Old 01-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

those pesky feed dogs can be dirty and hard to see. make sure they are clean. then always, always help your fabric along under the foot until it's done sewing. usually with your left fingers on the outside of the foot area. stilettos help too. fabric can pull to the right or left, depending on one's machine. just like your car will go crooked on you if you take your hands off the wheel.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:51 PM

I am taking a class next week and making a quilt called Cleopatra's Fan. The instructions stress that a scant 1/4 inch seam is VERY important. So, I adjusted my needle to a scant 1/4 inch and had a problem starting the seam. For the first time I tried a leader--it worked great. I never thought it was necessary, but now have changed my mind. I have been working on a sample block, and it is harder than it looks. It is a beautiful quilt, and I hope I am able to finish it. Same teacher as the double wedding ring, and I did finish that one after a lot of sweat and tears!!
Sue
Old 01-30-2015, 05:25 AM

I use the leader/ender process suggested and also use a stiletto, you can use a seam ripper for a stiletto if you don't have one.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:38 AM

My machine does that also. I just slow right down then use a pickle fork to help that small piece that is left. LOL check your kitchen you might be surprised what you will find to help.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:45 AM

Some machines do that, others don't. I found my vintage machines are better at pulling the fabric in straight. But then, my 1924 Singer was really pulling the bottom fabric to the right.

If you don't have a stiletto, skip that, you do have a stiletto. Any small dowel will work. I use chopsticks from restaurants. Put it into your pencil sharpener very gently until it has a point as sharp as you like. Not quite sharp to the end is better.

Hold that seam end with the stiletto until the very last thread has exited the needle.