Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Why does it not look right to me?

I have been working on some wall hangings -- hand piecing and hand quilting. The pieces are roughly 20" x 24". After the quilting is done, the finished product looks as though I have not sandwiched it taut enough. It is too lumpy/bumpy for my discerning eye. I do sandwich the layers using masking tape and baste from the center out in all directions. While I know that the galloping horseman would not see this, I wonder if I am being too picky? if there is an alternate way to do the sandwiching? if I should stop being such a perfectionist? Thanks for your ideas. Phyllis Carol

Banned
    Do you have a pic? I have noticed you get less puckering if you use the cotton batting that is flatter. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Carol
    I have been working on some wall hangings -- hand piecing and hand quilting. The pieces are roughly 20" x 24". After the quilting is done, the finished product looks as though I have not sandwiched it taut enough. It is too lumpy/bumpy for my discerning eye. I do sandwich the layers using masking tape and baste from the center out in all directions. While I know that the galloping horseman would not see this, I wonder if I am being too picky? if there is an alternate way to do the sandwiching? if I should stop being such a perfectionist? Thanks for your ideas. Phyllis Carol drpcsk@comcast.net
    :)

What type of batting are you using? I've noticed that different ones give different finished looks.

Are you stretching the backing when you tape it down? That can cause some major "lumpy" looks on the front of the finished product.

Make sure you are using good backing. I have found that the stiffer the backing the less it puckers. Starch cheaper backing if want to stiffer.

I use polyester batting with low loft. All of my fabric is 100% cotton. I have nerver used starch before.

I spray baste, especially smaller pieces, but have learned to spray the batting, not the fabric. Seems to help keep them smoother

Blog Entries
    I use polyester batting with low loft. All of my fabric is 100% cotton. I have nerver used starch before.
    Maybe try a flatter cotton batting, even low loft poly is puffier than say Warm and Natural :D:D:D

Banned
    agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Maybe try a flatter cotton batting, even low loft poly is puffier than say Warm and Natural :D:D:D
    :thumbup: