Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Fat Quarters?  Plus more about stash & donations >

Why Fat Quarters? Plus more about stash & donations

Why Fat Quarters? Plus more about stash & donations

Old 07-15-2015, 09:58 AM

Default Why Fat Quarters? Plus more about stash & donations

I have yet to understand why people buy fat quarters. I see the benefit for scrappy projects or paper piecing but not for quilts. I always think I'm missing the point so I never buy anything less than a half yd. or mostly a full yard. Of course that's why I have such a huge stash. LOL
Sadly since I'm emptying my house to sell I've had to donate a huge part of it. I also had to break down & donate 8+ quilts & when the hosp receiver asked me how many I had in the bags I said I'm not sure & I don't dare go thru them to count or I'll start pulling some out to keep. Talk about pathetic.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 AM

Ha ha! I think you answered your own question.

I love being able to pick out fabric for each quilt & fat quarters and snippets allow me to do that. I do a lot of applique work on my quilts & those sizes are perfect for what I need. I rarely buy more than 1/4 yard of anything unless I am buying specifically for background fabric, borders/sashing, binding or backing.

I'm sure the new owners of your beautiful quilts will be thrilled by your donation. What a lovely gift you have given them!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I buy fat quarters because they are easy to cut into block pieces. I don't like a lot of yardage to deal with. I know I can buy a yard of fabric and cut my own to size but I don't want to. I'd rather buy four fat quarters of the same fabric then one yard of it. Many will say but a yard is cheaper, may be, but if I had to worry about a few extra dollars spent I wouldn't be quilting anyway. I buy yardage for backing and borders.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

A fat quarter will satisfy my need for a beautiful piece of fabric. I am trying to use up my stash and only buy what I need for each project now. As for what I will do with my quilts and stash after death......not my problem.Of course I have designated who will have my machines and after they take what they want of my stash, it can go to the charity shop.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I buy fat quarters because they are easy to cut into block pieces. I don't like a lot of yardage to deal with. I know I can buy a yard of fabric and cut my own to size but I don't want to. I'd rather buy four fat quarters of the same fabric then one yard of it. Many will say but a yard is cheaper, may be, but if I had to worry about a few extra dollars spent I wouldn't be quilting anyway. I buy yardage for backing and borders.
Interesting - I think - that if one needs an actual yard of something - that four FQs usually don't quite have "enough" fabric to get the cuts needed because of the waste involved when cutting larger pieces.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:28 AM

Why Fat Quarters? Because I love variety. And, I can't always afford yardage. This allows me a small splurge on a regular basis. I enjoy scrappy quilting. So, it works out well for me.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:39 AM

Red face

I have quit buying fat quarters unless they are for a quilt I am working on. I find I always need more than a fat quarter so if I find something I love I buy from 2-5 yards. Then I know I have enough to use on front and border.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:06 AM

I have a lot of FQ bundles. I love Log Cabins made with a kazillion different fabrics. I love scrappy quilts.

A good many of the FQ bundles are from Connecting Threads. Seeing the fabrics up close and personal when they arrive gives me the chance to decide if I want yardage of any of the fabrics.

We live out here in the middle of nowhere where the fabric choices are very limited unless you want Hawaiian fabrics or Asian fabrics or Batiks. Luckily I love Batiks and Asian and you can bet I buy anywhere from a yard to five yards of my favorites especially during sales. (And, yes, I do buy Hawaiian fabrics).

We are on the mainland once a year visiting family and I buy yardage in the quilt shops there.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:11 PM

I don't buy individual fat quarters... I buy by them by the bundle then I can make
a quilt without having to worry about color matching. I don't have a quilt shop where
I live so it's easier for me to buy online.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 PM

it's really bad when you buy a fat quarter and can't bring yourself to cut into it because it's so pretty...