Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is why I only do applique quilts >

This is why I only do applique quilts

This is why I only do applique quilts

Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 AM

I agree with the others that your wall-hanging looks good. But I have the same problem with my view of the quilts I've attempted. One thing I think I'll try with my next one is doing a disappearing 9-patch and then select an arrangement that doesn't even attempt to match seams. Until I get much better at cutting accurately, I think that is my only hope of creating something that looks OK.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 AM

I think you're being too hard on yourself. I have ben quilting for a lot of years, and it took me about 5 minutes of loking at your (finished) picture before I saw your issue. I would say follow the others' suggestions, and finish the quilt. Small imperfections will not be noticeable once you get it quilted. And iif they do... it was planned that way. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, lol)
Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 AM

Practice, practice, practice. Like anything you have to work at it. I think it looks good for your first try. Keep going.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Banned

I'm doing extra hand quilting on it so it takes away from the flaws Almost done!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I am a piecer and if you cut sepperate triangles and then tried to sew them together I would have gotten the same results. I use rulers that help get the triangles correct.
For years I used Elanor Burns, Quilt in a Day, special rulers but I switched this summer to June Taylor perfect Half Square and Quarter Square Triangles. I like that even better. If you use that it will give you those perfect Ohio Stars you want.

Here is a video showing you how to use it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvBURxlgwFo

I really like your table runner. It is very pretty.

By the way I think your applique is awesome and I wished I could aplique like that.
Two things:
You appliqued the double wedding ring? How did you do that?

I watched the tute on the June Taylor ruler....good ruler, but the demostrator made me smile.......we all sew in our kitchen.....I wish my counters were so "clear"....and I always dress to the T while I am quilting.....just my silly observations......
Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 AM

That is one of my favorite blocks. I find hst to be so versatile . They can be assembled in so many great patterns. I find cutting them oversize and then trimming them to the correct size to be the best way to get accurate hst. Keep trying "it's only fabric"!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Ladies You have said it all .. don't be so hard on yourself .. My first quilt was so crooked and thank goodness the person helping me had the patience to be polite, then help me fix it. Practice, Practice then you will look back and ask yourself why you didn't start quilting sooner.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
This really isn't bad for your first attempt! Don't be so hard on yourself. Do you have a 1/4" foot...that helps a lot. Lots of us feel the same way you do...only about applique! Practice, practice, practice...

Diannia
The 1/4 inch foot made all the difference in the world in my quilts!! Before mine were wonky...which yours is NOT!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Is it just me or what? I don't see anything wrong with it.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Rotary blade has been suggested as a possible problem. I thought a dull blade just took more effort to cut; only one fabric layer, but I didn't know it would affect the accuracy of a quilt block. Could someone explain more what is happening with a used rotary blade?